Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Status On Paid Off Closed Account

tag
tebtengri
Contributor

Payment Status On Paid Off Closed Account

I notice despite getting near mid 600s on my credit score I'm still having issues getting credit, especially with NFCU CLI, unsecure upgrade of my secured card and an auto loan despite the car being a 2020 and me putting almost 20% down.

Going through my credit I kept noticing Equifax and TransUnion saying I was delinquent as well as Derogatory and looked at all my current, open accounts and ofc I'm not late and haven't been for nearly a year. No collections, all but one charge off paid to 0. 

I finally notice that a Nissan Finance auto loan that was paid off when I traded in my next to last car has 30 days past due as "Payment Status" on TU and "not more than two payments past due" on Equifax.

I'm nearly positive this should be paid, pays as agreed or something other than saying 30 days late, right? Is this artificially existing 30 days late suppressing my score and possibly keeping my offers and CLIs down?

I opened disputes via the bureaus just now and will probably send certified mail to NMAC as well as call them in the next couple of days.

11 REPLIES 11
DR527
Regular Contributor

Re: Payment Status On Paid Off Closed Account

Are you getting this information from your credit reports. Or are you seeing this on the MyFico app? I would get your three credit reports first, before disputing. But if you already have. I would still get my three reports. Just to double check. 

Message 2 of 12
tebtengri
Contributor

From the actual bureaus. I have 3 paid accounts right now with all 3. Experian shows as paid/pays as agreed/ok on all 3 bureaus. Equifax and TransUnion both shows 30 days past due on all 3 bureaus sites/apps. Technically Equifax is listed as "not more than two payments past due" on Experian's app, same thing I assume.

In short, all 3 bureaus show the same data. Experian's data both shown by Experian and TU and EQ is correct. The other two bureaus have data showing me as currently 30 days past due on an account that was paid off in 2017.

Message 3 of 12
DR527
Regular Contributor

Ok, I guess I'm more confused now. A paid off account from 2017. Even one that had late payments on it. Would have nearly no effect on your current scores(single digits worth of points possibly). I believe you said was in the mid 600's. It sound like something is missing. I honestly wouldn't mess with that account. Even if it's inaccurate, let the late fall off next year.

I know Navy Federal can be kind of hot and cold. They have they're own internal score they love to use. You can find it if you look on the denial letter. If that's your only late payment, and your utilization is good. I'd give it 60 days see what happens. 

Message 4 of 12
tebtengri
Contributor

The issue I think isn't it lists 4 30 days late from 2017. The issue is the payment status is showing its currently delinquent. As in "dude didn't make last month's payment and it's been 30 days"

At least that's how I'm reading it and navy federal and other creditors have listed "recent delinquency" as reasons for denials and that's the only possible thing it could be. I'd post screenshots but I don't think myfico supports them do they?

Message 5 of 12
DR527
Regular Contributor

I actually just re-read your OP. If you have charge-off accounts with balances, and a late payment within the last two years. That would definitely explain you score and your denials. And it's possible that the Auto loan is reporting the 30 days a new. As long as the account information is reporting paid and closed in 2017. It should fall off on its own. I'm not sure what the exact model is for FICO. But I remember my scores saying recent late payment on MyFico for a full year before they didn't show that comment any more. I know after two years most of the negative damage is done. Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

Message 6 of 12
tebtengri
Contributor

Worst case I dispute it, they change it to paid/pays as agreed and I get no change.

It would probably explain why Experian is about 30-40 points higher than the others' FICO8, depending on exact utilization that month.

Message 7 of 12
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Actually, worst case is it doesn't change, it gets refreshed and lowers your score more. But a question, did you pay it off or did the dealer/finance company? Reason I ask is if it was someone other than you, it may have taken a month or two to get paid. Might want to check first.

Message 8 of 12
tebtengri
Contributor

Finance company/dealer paid it off but even then the current status should be paid and pays as agreed as they ultimately got paid the entire balance in full 6 years ago even if that added one 30 day late at the time shouldn't it?

Message 9 of 12
bass_playr
Established Contributor

@DR527 wrote:

Ok, I guess I'm more confused now. A paid off account from 2017. Even one that had late payments on it. Would have nearly no effect on your current scores(single digits worth of points possibly). I believe you said was in the mid 600's. It sound like something is missing. I honestly wouldn't mess with that account. Even if it's inaccurate, let the late fall off next year.

I know Navy Federal can be kind of hot and cold. They have they're own internal score they love to use. You can find it if you look on the denial letter. If that's your only late payment, and your utilization is good. I'd give it 60 days see what happens. 

I cannot agree.  My FICO 8 on TU went up by 33 points when I did EE and got a couple of old 30 day lates removed, with no other changes at that time.  It was 2 30 day lates showing on an old paid off car loan.  The lates were removed through EE which means they were 6.5 years old.  And they had that much effect when removed.  I'm now knocking on the door of 700 FICO's because of that.

Here's the thing, if there are more collections or past due accounts that are unpaid, that's likely causing a large chunk of the issue IMHO.  Having a 30 day late payment on its own from 6 years ago should not cause a denial of credit, there must be more damage than that happening on the reports.

OP said two things that stood out.  First was that he had not had any late payments in nearly a year.  These are still fresh and underwriters pay attention to that.  Second, all but one charge-off paid to zero.  This means OP still has an unpaid charge-off on their reports.  That's also causing damage.  

Underwriters look for signs that the consumer will pay their bills.  If you have an unpaid charge-off and then you started getting late pays less than a year ago, that is a potential red flag that you might repeat your history--the charge-offs I mean.  And things like Covid certainly did not help the credit game for anyone who's in this kind of position.  

Here's a comparison, this is my situation.  FICO 8's were in the mid-600s last year, we bought a 2020 Durango.  Cap One approved, no money down, purchase price approved up to $60K, and 4% interest on a used vehicle.  You mentioned that you had to put down 20% on your car loan.  That remaining charge-off and other lates are not helping, for sure.  At the time we made this purchase, the only negatives I had were the couple of 30 day lates that I just got removed last month.  I know that other factors play a part like employment, income, other debts, etc, but that's just a basic comparison.  

Best recommendation would be to pay that remaining charge-off...an unpaid charge-off keeps updating and hurts your scores more than a simple late pay does.  Once you get that paid it will no longer update as unpaid, and its effect on your scores will be less.  Then, when early exclusion time comes, just ask for their removal and you should be good.  The more recent late pays, you might try goodwill letters, though there's no guarantee on those.  Even so, if all you had was a late pay or two, and you've paid current since then, you should be fine.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.