Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment status

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment status

I am in the process of rebuilding after a long struggle. I paid all my chargeoffs and collections and my score is going back up. I noticed on my credit report a few accounts are showing a $0 balance but payment status says "late" not "paid" like the others. Is that hurting me? Can I dispute?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payment status

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the process of rebuilding after a long struggle. I paid all my chargeoffs and collections and my score is going back up. I noticed on my credit report a few accounts are showing a $0 balance but payment status says "late" not "paid" like the others. Is that hurting me? Can I dispute?

I doubt that it is affecting scores, but I would have it corrected anyway.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Payment status is separate from current status, and can still reflect past derogs.

In fact, its purpose is to preserve a record of prior delinquency status once the current status is no longer one or delinquency.

The current status is a snapshot of the status of the debt (delinquent or paid) as of the last reporting by the creditor.

An account that is currently delinquent has a delinquency status, such as 90-late or CO, but once paid, the account is no longer delinquent, and the Current Status is updated to paid or pays as agreed.  No historical information is preserved under the Current Status.

However, when the new Current Status is updated from a prior delinquency status, the prior delinquency status is preserved for reference purposes under the Payment Ratting status.

The payment status per se is not used in scoring, as each and every prior derog is retained under the Payment History Profile, and is the basis for scoring of payment history.

I would not dispute a Payment Status that is showing a derog status after a previously delinquent account is brought back into good-standing or paid.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the clarification on that, Robert.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.