Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payoff or no?

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Payoff or no?

I'd try Disco first. Cap1 doesnt graduate any longer. If no pre-qual. Then grab a OpenSky with no HP secured. Or MerrickBank secured which will double your CL after responsible payments and isnt 3 pulls. It will save a triple pull from Cap1. Got to start somewhere. Good Luck.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question?

With something like discover, would it matter if I start small?

Like a $200 deposit? Or should I go higher if I can?

What I did with hers was apply after a score spike on credit karma - yes, I know it's not FICO.

and I was able to get auto approvals for unsecured cards

When the last derog came off her score spiked to 623 and even though she was approved for a $49 deposit secured card they approved her unsecured , even though it's a small SL. When first payment reported , she saw another little spike and I got the creditone, etc

Discover was part of my plan anyway as I've seen lots of success stories from others rebuilding and graduating to decent limits.

Our goal right now is to have 1 card between us with a 2-3k limit.
Message 12 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
One more question?

With something like discover, would it matter if I start small?

Like a $200 deposit? Or should I go higher if I can?

What I did with hers was apply after a score spike on credit karma - yes, I know it's not FICO.

and I was able to get auto approvals for unsecured cards

When the last derog came off her score spiked to 623 and even though she was approved for a $49 deposit secured card they approved her unsecured , even though it's a small SL. When first payment reported , she saw another little spike and I got the creditone, etc

Discover was part of my plan anyway as I've seen lots of success stories from others rebuilding and graduating to decent limits.

Our goal right now is to have 1 card between us with a 2-3k limit.

Credit limit doesn't matter -- all that matters is how you use the credit given.   If you start with a $200 limit, just make sure the balance you report to the credit bureaus each month is less than 28.9%  of the limit -- which is $57 for  a $200 limit card.    Less than 8.9% (or $17) would be even better purely for scoring purposes.

I believe I explained managing util to you in a response to a different, earlier post? If I'm mistaken, let me know and I'll run through it.   

(EDIT: Ah yes, I did... https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Looking-for-advice-and-help/m-p/5787053/highlight/true#M602133 Smiley Wink)

Also -- Disco will unsecure after several months (6-12 generally) and they usually unsecure with a credit limit increase.    Once it unsecures, you can request credit limit increases often using only a soft pull on your credit.    It's a great card to have - one of the best for rebuild because it will grow with you and remain valuable post-rebuild.  

Go to Disco's prequal page and see if they have any offers for you.. https://www.discovercard.com/application/website/prequal

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.