Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed post discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed post discharge

I was recently discharged from my Chapter 13 after 3 grueling years, and have been banking with Penfed for about 2.5 years. I checked my Fico score through Penfed and it’s at a 690. I’m currently going through underwriting on my first home so after it’s done in a few weeks time I will be needing to buy a vehicle, and maybe open up a credit line with them. Is a 690 going to be good enough? Also, will they approve me 1 month post discharge? I already have a CLOC for 500 that I somehow was approved for mid chapter 13 so I’m encouraged to try. What do you think?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: PenFed post discharge

@Anonymous wrote:
I was recently discharged from my Chapter 13 after 3 grueling years, and have been banking with Penfed for about 2.5 years. I checked my Fico score through Penfed and it’s at a 690. I’m currently going through underwriting on my first home so after it’s done in a few weeks time I will be needing to buy a vehicle, and maybe open up a credit line with them. Is a 690 going to be good enough? Also, will they approve me 1 month post discharge? I already have a CLOC for 500 that I somehow was approved for mid chapter 13 so I’m encouraged to try. What do you think?

I dont know much about Penfed but I'll bumping thread  as they may be others who were in the similar situation. 

Message 2 of 4
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

Also not sure about PenFed, although I do have an account with them I've never applied for credit through them.

I can tell you that I got financed for an auto loan with a credit score of 634 through Navy FCU at 7.09%.  That was liveable for me and I imagine you'd get better.  If you don't get approved through PenFed you may want to consider Navy assuming you're eligible.  Not sure how the discharge will impact you.  Also, I have a reasonably high income with very low rent and no payments to speak of so DTI was probably a factor that helped me.

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 3 of 4
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

PenFed approved me for an used auto loan back when my scores were in the 580's. They would only approve me for $15,000, though. I also had a collection on my EQ report at that time. They actually gave me a decent rate as well. No one else would even give me $1,000 let alone $15k. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.