Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed makes me sad

tag
amyd
Established Member

Penfed makes me sad

Applied for their credit card today and they denied me. I am six months out from a chap 7 and trying to rebuild. I have had them for year's so thought I would give it a shot. Bad idea instant denial. I only have one credit card with capital one with a 2k limit everything else was discharged. They said my Equifax score was 724 just wanted to vent is all.
Chapter 7 discharged June/2019

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed makes me sad

That sucks to get a No. have you tried to prequal with Discover? You may get good results there.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is well known that they will deny for at least one year post discharge. (It might actually be two, but I can't recall . . you can find the data points here if you search.)

Don't stress it too much, but always do the research here to see if you're applying for things that you have a chance of approval for.

Message 3 of 16
amyd
Established Member

Ty, it is very hard for me to rebuild as I have burned all the good banks in my chapter 7.

Message 4 of 16
amyd
Established Member

I burned them in my bankruptcy so didn't even bother.

Message 5 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

List who got burned and we can help you jump start your rebuild. Never seen a 740's score that soon out of BK before.

Message 6 of 16
amyd
Established Member

The paper from penfed said my score was a 724 so not sure why it's high as you said. Anyways, discharged June 2019 and I burned NFCU, USAA, BOA, 5th Third, Vystar (car), American Express, Paypal, Victoria Secret, Chase, Citi, Rooms 2 go, Uber visa, Lowes, Discover, Best Buy. There are maybe a few more can't think of anymore off the top of my head so early in the morning. I feel like I had some awesome credit lenders and I ruined it with them forever. Example, NFCU, Discover they were the best and still are to be honest they always were good to me credit wise. I might have to invest in the score monitoring service because I myself are confused as so many are fakos with various banks or apps like credit karma, and credit wise through capital one. Like I just checked credit wise and they said my score was a 715 dropped 6 points for the Ollo inquiry.
So after my sadness in my Penfed I applied for the Ollo card they have been spamming about for three months and got approved for $2600.00. So I have two cards now the Ollo and the Capital One Platinum which is $3000.00. I will add that I was approved for that C1 two months after discharge. I forgot I also have a LOC from Penfed of 500.00. So it seems to me that numbers or the score matters but also it does not when the BK is on the report so I might as well have a 550 or whatnot if that makes since.
Thoughts? Edited to add the scores to my signature from credit wise I have no idea what scoring system Penfed uses but I have no scores in the 700ish zone, lol.Of course it lists negative items and late payments and recent late payment but I assume that's the what shows on reports with Bankruptcy.

Message 7 of 16
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Go to Experian .com and get their $1 trial. You'll get all 3 FICO 8 scores and reports. Just remember to immediately cancel, or if you want to keep it, keep it!

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 8 of 16
amyd
Established Member

I did that and that and added the scores into my signature and I added a calender event to cancel the subscription..Ty

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amyd wrote:
The paper from penfed said my score was a 724 so not sure why it's high as you said. Anyways, discharged June 2019 and I burned NFCU, USAA, BOA, 5th Third, Vystar (car), American Express, Paypal, Victoria Secret, Chase, Citi, Rooms 2 go, Uber visa, Lowes, Discover, Best Buy. There are maybe a few more can't think of anymore off the top of my head so early in the morning. I feel like I had some awesome credit lenders and I ruined it with them forever. Example, NFCU, Discover they were the best and still are to be honest they always were good to me credit wise. I might have to invest in the score monitoring service because I myself are confused as so many are fakos with various banks or apps like credit karma, and credit wise through capital one. Like I just checked credit wise and they said my score was a 715 dropped 6 points for the Ollo inquiry.
So after my sadness in my Penfed I applied for the Ollo card they have been spamming about for three months and got approved for $2600.00. So I have two cards now the Ollo and the Capital One Platinum which is $3000.00. I will add that I was approved for that C1 two months after discharge. I forgot I also have a LOC from Penfed of 500.00. So it seems to me that numbers or the score matters but also it does not when the BK is on the report so I might as well have a 550 or whatnot if that makes since.
Thoughts? Edited to add the scores to my signature from credit wise I have no idea what scoring system Penfed uses but I have no scores in the 700ish zone, lol.Of course it lists negative items and late payments and recent late payment but I assume that's the what shows on reports with Bankruptcy.

I know it's hard but try to look at the positive, those two SL's are really awesome for being fresh out of BK. I am a year post dc and my highest CL card right now is still only $2000. Tbh I had to step away from these forums for a bit or at least away from the approvals section, haha. It gets depressing to see everyone else with these great approvals. But you have to remember bk is major and it takes time to rebuild.

So you have 2 credit cards and a LOC - I am not sure if you really need a third card right now, those might be enough for now until your scores get higher. Maybe someone else can jump in as far as who will let you back in. I think I read that Discover at some point may let you back but not sure. You can also try Merrick, I believe they have a prequalify tool and they will double your line after 6 months.   It sucks to have no rewards cards... but just remember to have patience... I have had to tell myself this many times. Even as recent as yesterday. Lol. At least you have the capital one, my DH started with the platinum and just PC'd to Quicksilver. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.