Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pennsylvania statue of limitations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pennsylvania statue of limitations

Hello I am in the process of buying a home, the first time home buyers program wants me to try to tackle my old fingerhut charge off again. With that being said they told me in Pennsylvania the statue of limitations is four years. I am finding conflicting information online about this, can someone help me out and if that is the case do I just call experian,transunion and equifax and state that?

3 REPLIES 3
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Pennsylvania statue of limitations

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello I am in the process of buying a home, the first time home buyers program wants me to try to tackle my old fingerhut charge off again. With that being said they told me in Pennsylvania the statue of limitations is four years. I am finding conflicting information online about this, can someone help me out and if that is the case do I just call experian,transunion and equifax and state that?

I believe it is 4 years for PA but this just means they can't "sue" you after the SOL has run out.

This however has nothing to do with credit reporting, it will be on your reports for 7.5 years. If you want to get a mortgage you might want to try and settle it with them.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe it is 4 years for PA but this just means they can't "sue" you after the SOL has run out.

This however has nothing to do with credit reporting, it will be on your reports for 7.5 years. If you want to get a mortgage you might want to try and settle it with them.

+1

SOL is entirely seperate from the reporting period.

You will have to pay it and be done with it if it is within the 7 year reporting period. Most mortgage UWs require any outstanding debts be dealt with to continue with the mortgage process.

You can pull all 3 of your CRs from annual credit report for free (no scores) and they will tell you exactly when they age off.

TU will list " estimated date of removal"

EQ will list "date of first delinquency". Add 7 years to this date for when it will age off. They also list "date major delinquency was first reported", this date is not the date you are looking for.

EX will list "on record until". Do not think this date is wrong because it is different from the other 2 bureaus. They build in 2 months of early exculsion into this date.

If it is longer than 6 months from now, you will need to just pay it and then seek a GW (goodwill) removal, which is not guaranteed. You are asking them a favor to delete the tradeline from your CRs and may take many requests, but it is always worth a shot!

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got ya that was what I saw as well thank you everyone. Yeah the charge off is paid 0 balance and the collection is removed. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.