Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan versus Car Loan to rebuild credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Loan versus Car Loan to rebuild credit

Evening y'all - I'll be first to post this since I can't seem to find much related to what I'm looking at.

Like many - I made the mistakes when I was younger and now I'm paying the price. I've got to get my numbers up into the high 600's (currently a 590) so I can buy a house and while I've currently got one loan working for me on the bureaus through Harley, I'm looking at buying a newer vehicle and want to know what's better before I go waltz into the bank tomorrowish.

So figure - I'm looking at 7500 to burrow, my little brother is going to consign with me (he's in the high 800's) so I think I'm good to go there. Then the joint decision between the two of us is we are setting up a joint account where the money for the loan will be (he's basically going to put 7500 into the account and let the bank auto withdraw it every month to make the payment) and pay the loan off..

My question is simple I guess...Would a personal loan reflect stronger on my credit report than an auto loan or vise versa? I wish the school systems back in the early 90's would have taught a credit management class, that would have saved me a TON of trouble now a days!
Thanks for any replies in advance!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
huck1081
Regular Contributor

Re: Personal Loan versus Car Loan to rebuild credit

Are you just looking to improve your score to buy a house, Or do you Need newer car? Also, why would you have family co-sign when you could qualify on your own? I have seen many friends/families have turmoil due to this senecio. 

if you don't have any revolving credit, I would get 3 cards going with one reporting under 10% utl. This coupled with your Harley loan would really give you a boost. 

Starting: EQ 501 TU 514 EX 533 (12/2014)
Current: EQ 613 TU 625 EX 615 (4/1/2016) Goal: 640 and a new home loan
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Personal Loan versus Car Loan to rebuild credit

Auto loans are less risk to lendors than personal loans, as they hold a lien on the title until the loan is paid,and thus the loan is secured by the value of the vehicle.

If you default, they can take the car.

Thus, the interest rates are usually lower on an auto loan, and you may quality without a co-signor, whereas a personal loan that is not secured by some asset of yours will usually have a higher interest rate, and may require a co-signor.

Either will count as installment loans in scoring.

However, in future auto loans, having had a prior auto loan is a factor in FICO auto loan scoring, and will likely be of benefit in scoring for a future auto loan once you have paid one off.

What the the offered rates for auto and personal loans?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.