Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help. 90 days vs charge off question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help. 90 days vs charge off question

Good evening,

Thanks in advance for any direction or advice.  I am fairly self sufficient and have had some mild successes due to the guides shared here.  But I struggle at understanding something.

2 of my credit card creditors (out of 12) continue to report every month.  Card A reports me as charged off  every month for the past 4 years without fail, while others show NR the last few years.  Card B reports me as 90 days late every month even though it was charged off 3 years ago (can they even do that, don'tthey have to report it as CO?).  Any thoughts on how to attack these?

I was thinking I could dispute Card B because it's not 90 days late, it's a charge off, but I'm not sure how to word it.

Any and all help is welcomed.  I promise to not pester.  I just need some more guidance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Please Help. 90 days vs charge off question

Whether they report 90 days or CO every month, it's their choice and either one is legal. @RobertEG will give the more thorough explanation, but the gist of it is that they have a choice of what to report. Either way, the fact that they're both COd supersedes any late payment determination. Also, they don't *HAVE* to keep reporting at all once the account is charged off; many creditors choose to do it anyway, though, in hopes that you'll pay them so your score will stop getting dinged and it can begin to recover.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Please Help. 90 days vs charge off question

The common credit reporting manual used by the big-3 CRAs provides for the reporting of delinquency, either current or for any prior month under the payment history profile, either in terms of days late (e.g., 90-late) or, at the disretion of the creditor, simply as CO if the account was also charged to profilt and loss at any time prior to the month in question.

There is no requirment that a charged-off account must report the delinquency as CO.

If an account is 90-late, there is no error in reporting the delinquency as such even if the account has also been charged-off.

Thus, there is no basis for a dispute.

What COULD be disputed is the reporting of 90-late for multiple consecutive months.   The definition of a 90-late under the credit reporting mnual is not simply that the delinquency level has reaches 90 days from billing due date.  The defintion is that it is 90 to 119 days late.

Thus, if a debt is reporting as 90-late in a given month, it will become a 120-late the next month.

However, most consumers will not file a dispute that will result in reporting of higher levels of delinquency.

Your call......

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.