Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help

My husband of 1 year and I were looking at making a large purchase so we pulled our credit reports last night.  Mine is ok,  but his has a collections on it that was posted 2/2011.  it is on all 3 CRA's  the origninal creditor is DirectTV stating he owes $231.    About 2 years ago he had DirectTV with his (now ex) wife.  when she up and left he could not afford the home or cable TV and he called them and canceled the service paid the account in full and returned all equipment.

They now say he owes them money.  So we disputed the charge through the CRA's.  He has never revieved any bills/ phone calls or other statements saying he owes this money.  Now today he has recieved 3 phone calls trying to varify his phone number. 

How can this happen?  did the CRA's give his phone number to the collection agency?

Our concern is that he has a few other collections that will be dropping off in January/Febuary/March range.  We don't know for certain that the agency calling, is the one calling for Direct TV .. or another agency.  He is concerned if he talks to them and it is not the one for Direct TV that it will restart the 7 years over again. 

Please help.  How can we investigate this collection that is not valid without jepordizing the ones that will fall off in just a few months?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: Please Help

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband of 1 year and I were looking at making a large purchase so we pulled our credit reports last night.  Mine is ok,  but his has a collections on it that was posted 2/2011.  it is on all 3 CRA's  the origninal creditor is DirectTV stating he owes $231.    About 2 years ago he had DirectTV with his (now ex) wife.  when she up and left he could not afford the home or cable TV and he called them and canceled the service paid the account in full and returned all equipment.

They now say he owes them money.  So we disputed the charge through the CRA's.  He has never revieved any bills/ phone calls or other statements saying he owes this money.  Now today he has recieved 3 phone calls trying to varify his phone number. 

How can this happen?  did the CRA's give his phone number to the collection agency?

Our concern is that he has a few other collections that will be dropping off in January/Febuary/March range.  We don't know for certain that the agency calling, is the one calling for Direct TV .. or another agency.  He is concerned if he talks to them and it is not the one for Direct TV that it will restart the 7 years over again. 

Please help.  How can we investigate this collection that is not valid without jepordizing the ones that will fall off in just a few months?

My guess is that the $231 is the early termination fee DirectTV charges. If you (and others) have not already realized it, they are the WORST company ever. They lie, charge their clients credit cards without permission and many times incorrectly charge their clients. You should definitely dispute those charges.

Not sure about the phone call you hvae been receiving but I don't think talking to them will affect your credit rating.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Just talking to a CA will not restart the time, only making payment or arrangements, and that is only in certain states.

You can always contact Direct TV and talk to them.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, I was wondering if that was what the charge was... early disconect fee.  The problem is that because of the divorse and disalusion of the joint business he had no ability to keep the service, and he had everything disconnected even the internet.  Further I think this is compounded because I THINK he had e-bills. Which would cause him only to recieve electronic bills and since he had no internet.. and no reason to believe that there was a bill....  hence why it is now in collection.  But that is all speculation since he is afraide to talk to them because of the other bills.

If I can convince him to talk to the, what would our next step be?  should we send a letter to varify the bill?  can we ask for a deletion for payment?

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would contact Direct TV and not the CA.  Ask them if he pays the bill, if he does in fact owe it, if they will recall it from collections.  That will ony work if they still own the account,

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We called the company, they no longer own the account.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We wrote a letter for deletion but the company never responded.  Today I found out they sold teh account and it is now being reported twice!  I want to try and contact the new company but if they do a PFD  how can we get the first removed? 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.