Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Need Advice

Background. I fixed my credit years ago in 2013 and my wife and I got a home. Flash forward to this year and my wife died and I just lost my ever loving mind. I quit paying my credit cards and just focused on my home and food for my kids. I mean luxuries didn't matter as much then. 

Now im in a better place and my debts have been sold off to those scum collection agencies. I know it's my own fault but life got in the way. 

My question is, if the debt is still new, but has been sold can I still disputed to get removed? 

I live in Texas so my SOL is 4 years. I'm trying to get myself back out of where I was years ago. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Please Need Advice

My condolences for your loss.

If the debt is your's, you're going to have a difficult time getting it removed by disputing. You're better off to write the agencies a PFD letter. Be honest with them about what happened in your life that caused the accounts to go into collection. I think they're more likely to delete when people tell the truth vs using form letters.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Please Need Advice

As a Texas resident, you have access to their debt validation process, which does not require that you file an actual dispute under the FCRA and does not have a timeliness period.

The TX Finance Code  requires a debt collector to respond within 30 days of your request.

They are not required to provide validation within 30 days.  They are permitted to state that they are not yet prepared to validate, but if their response does not provide validation, they are required to delete their reported collection, and cannot reinsert until they have first sent validation.

You might wish to send a DV request under the Texas Finance Code, and hope for at least a temporary removal of the reported collections.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.