cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please advise! Pay Chargeoffs to raise score??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please advise! Pay Chargeoffs to raise score??

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I've spent the past couple of days reading over the many forum posts about my questions. I got a lot of good info, but still have questions. 

background:

working on repairing credit and raising score so I can buy a house. I have a monthly subscription with myFICO and based on their mortgage score simulator they recommend I pay off 2 charge offs. The accounts are reporting monthly and showing super high utilization's.

charge offs:

Discover Card - $2179

CW Nexus Credit Card - $1078

my questions:

1. do I pay the charge offs and try to negotiate a PFD? Based on what I've read I don't think Discover will do a PFD. 

2. How should I initiate the conversation? Should I call and then request letter with their agreement before

paying?

thanks in advance for any feedback! I really appreciate it!!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Please advise! Pay Chargeoffs to raise score??

Hi and welcome to the forums!

PFD is meant for collection agencies, not for the original creditors as they are highly unlikely to agree to such an arrangement.  Have these debts been sent to a collection agency yet? If not, pay them - either in full or a negotiated settlement amount.  You can just call each creditor to discuss payment options. 

Once the accounts are paid, you can attempt a goodwill campaign to have the charge offs removed.  Discover isn't known to entertain goodwills- but you can try.  I dont know about the other lender you've listed. 

Whether or not paying will immediately increase your scores depends on your revolving utilization before and after payoff.  Outstanding chargeoff balances are factored into your util so if bringing the balances to $0 causes your util to drop below a threshold for scoring, you will see a boost. 

Paying will also prevent future updates (after the final update to reflect paymemt) which will allow the derogatory to age and your scores to recover. The monthly updates keep your scores suppressed as they keep the derogatory "fresh" to the scoring algorithms.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback 

my bad about breaking the form rules

but to be honest with you I just removed about six accounts this way and it worked just fine

the only one like I said it didn't work for was for a credit card company

but collections on other accounts  work perfectly fine

some of my disputes were completed in 2 days some of them took up the 7 days but all of them successful except for my capital One

Message 3 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@thornback 

my bad about breaking the form rules

but to be honest with you I just removed about six accounts this way and it worked just fine

the only one like I said it didn't work for was for a credit card company

but collections on other accounts  work perfectly fine

some of my disputes were completed in 2 days some of them took up the 7 days but all of them successful except for my capital One

OP is dealing with original creditor tradelines, not collections.  

And what worked for you may not work for all - a lot depends on the collection agency and their policies.  Most collection agencies only care about getting paid and only bother reporting to the bureaus in hopes of forcing payment - once payment is received, they could not care less about maintaining a record of the debt on your credit reports - thats why PFDs work for many collection agencies and not creditors. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback 

and the same could be said about everything you post that it might not work for everybody else

but the point is for the forums just to share what does work and that's what worked for me so maybe it will work for somebody else

and that's okay that's okay if their credit cards other people who read this don't have just that specific situation it's okay to add more information again what's what makes the forms useful

Message 5 of 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@thornback 

and the same could be said about everything you post that it might not work for everybody else

but the point is for the forums just to share what does work and that's what worked for me so maybe it will work for somebody else

and that's okay that's okay if their credit cards other people who read this don't have just that specific situation it's okay to add more information again what's what makes the forms useful

Except your suggestion could do more harm than good. Mine won't. 

The point of the forums is to help eachother, not advocate for actions that could prove costly. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 6 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@thornback 

Sharing is great, however this forum has rules. They can be found here 

I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with MyFico Terms Of Service 

Message 7 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Multiple posts were removed.

Apologies to those who post disappeared if they contained quotes from offending posts. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I missed some replies that were removed, but I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and share.

I should have been more thorough with my background info...

Discover is from 2017. They sent me to an attorney last year. I've never responded to them but from what I can tell they still own the account. They're still reporting monthly (reported this month to all 3 credit bureaus) and show the balance. Do you know if it's worth contacting them directly if they've sent me to an attorney? I'm willing to PIF if it means resolving this mess.

Regarding Cw Nexus Credit Card, I believe this a Merrick Bank CC I had based on my research. I'm not familiar with Cw. Do you think it's worth paying?

if I do settle with both, should I mail a check? I paid a collection last year with Portfolio and did it thru their online pay system. No issues and it was removed after paying. Once I get something in writing with an agreed payment plan I want to get it done. 

One other addition I have...

I refreshed my credit reports with myFICO this morning and a new collection was added Smiley Sad 

It's for Directv for $398 for no return on the equipment. The frustrating part is I did return the equipment but never kept the receipt from the UPS store. Anyway, should I pay this as well and try and resolve? 

Again, I appreciate the advice and your time. Joining this forum has been so encouraging and motivating. Even though there's a lot to do to get my credit fixed, feels like there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this is an option, but you could go to the UPS store and see if they have a record of your return

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.