cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please give me advice on what I should do...

tag
Germz

Please give me advice on what I should do...

The VA several years ago, placed this account on my CR. I was apparently "overpaid" by them to which I never got a single letter and or call. This I guess got to the point where they decided to get there money back by taking it directly from my income tax return check. I truthfully never even really noticed that I had a deduction because at the time I had my father submit all of my paperwork to our income tax guy. With that said I am just curious if you think there is anything I could do about this. The CR still states that I still have a balance due although I have paid off that account be it through income tax return deduction. 

Why is there still a balance showing up when it has been paid off for years now? Can I get this changed or removed? What steps should I take to try to begin this new battle? Is there any benefit in having them remove the current listed balance on the account? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DEPT OF VETERANS AFFAI

Potentially Negative Closed

Close Account Details
800-827-0648
PO BOX 11930
SAINT PAUL, MN 55111
 Experian®Equifax®TransUnion®

Account NameDEPT OF VETERANS AFFAIVETERAN'S ADMNUS DEPT VETS
Account #XXXXXXXXXXXX
Account TypeGovernment OverpaymentInstallmentOpen account
Balance$884.00$884.00$884.00
Date Opened8/1/20078/1/20078/1/2007

Account StatusClosedClosedClosed
Mo. Payment   
Past Due$884.00$884.00$884.00
Payment StatusSeriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection departmentAt least 120 days or more than four payments past dueCollection account
High Balance $845.00$845.00
Limit   
Terms1 Month  
Comments COLLECTION ACCOUNT
GOVERNMENT DEBT
Placed for collection
Starting Score: EX: 602, EQ: 610, TU 598 (08/27/2013)
Current Score: EX: 659, EQ: 696, TU: 665 (09/10/2013)
Fico: 667
Goal Score: 750
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Please give me advice on what I should do...

Once a furnisher has reported any information to a CRA, they are obligated under FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update that reporting so as to maintain its current accuracy.

Continuing to show a balance tells anyone reading your report that you still have an unsatisfied debt with them, so yes it is important to get it corrected.

I would call and remind them of their oblitation to have updated their reporting at the time you paid the debt.

If they dont update within the next reporting cycle, send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), with the inaccuracy being the continued showing of a debt.

In response to the dispute, they can simply update. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.