cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Collections just showed up in Experian - original debt was due to reach 7 years in Nov!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help! Collections just showed up in Experian - original debt was due to reach 7 years in Nov!

Hi all,

Long story short: in 2009, I was screwed over by a roommate I lived with for 3 months (I paid her my share of the rent, but she never paid the property management). I left the country after living with her, and only found out about this last year, when I got my first credit card and finally got a credit score (instead of being told I have a thin file).

Basically, there was a judgment on my account from 2009/2010 in my TransUnion report but not the others. They'd sued me (along with the others) while I was out of the country, and I had no idea about any of it for freaking 6 years!

Even though it said it was due to drop off in Nov 2016, I disputed it with TU (on CreditKarma), and it was removed within a couple of days. After that, my credit reports were all squeaky clean.

This morning I woke up to an email from myfico.com alerting me that there's a collections in my Experian report. A collections company has bought the debt, and has listed it with the "Date Reported" as 09/19/2016.

I don't know what to do. This has really upset me and I've been crying off and on all day. I was planning to buy a car this weekend, and now my FICO Experian score has tanked from 728 down to 652!! 

I have requested my annual credit report from Experian (it wouldn't let me access it online).

What should be my next step? Do I dispute with Experian? Has the date been reset to another 7 years??? How do I make Experian remove it in November?

I am petrified of making the wrong move and resetting the clock!!

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Please help! Collections just showed up in Experian - original debt was due to reach 7 years in

First, the credit reporting time period can't be reset. Second, 'date reported' is just that, the date that it got reported, not the date of first delinquency which is what the credit reporting period is based on. You can call Experian and request an early exclusion, they might do it.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please help! Collections just showed up in Experian - original debt was due to reach 7 years in

I see, ok. I was under the impression that communicating with the collection agency would reset the clock. I just spent a half hour researching and saw what you just stated. That's a big relief. I'll go ahead and dispute with Experian. Thanks

Message 3 of 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

An early exclusion isn't a dispute. Plus, if you do dispute it, it can take up to 30 days for a determination where calling and asking for a supervisor and getting an early exclusion will be immediate. You might have to call a couple of times to get it though depending on the supervisor
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unless the auto purchase cannot be delayed, it would likely be prudent to wait until the collection has been removed from scoring.

If you still wish to pursue immediate removal, you can call the CRA again and get another rep on the phone, who may be more receptive to granting an early exclusion.

You could also make a PFD offer if you wish to pursue immediate deletion.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.