cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porftolio Recovery strange reporting (deletion success)

tag
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

Porftolio Recovery strange reporting (deletion success)

This will be the last collection on my report, the only other negative will be the HSBC CO that is is being collected for.

I noticed that on all 3 reports something is odd. I have seen a few other people have similar things happen and I am trying to understand. On EQ and TU they report as open factoring accounts and seem to make it look like I have late, open accounts. Today I noticed that on Experian they kept changing the amount due, up and down with the amount, and looks like I was making $50 payments? I am confused but all in all it seems really fishy. I need to get them off my reports. I hear they are one of the worst to remove.

Here are screenshots from each report:

Experian - look at the all reporting dates at the bottom and how much the amount changes, and it looks like they are saying I make payments of $50? WTH?

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y489/newearth78/portfolioexperian_zpsebc1637f.png

Here is how it appears on Equifax when I use backdoor type/dispute page with an old file#:

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y489/newearth78/portfolioequifax1_zpsbf74afa8.png

Here is Equifax again but when I bought a report from them directly, shows 120 days late (I know I've heard of it happening but I don't get it)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y489/newearth78/portfolioequifax2_zps59fc0860.png

And here is Transunion which doesn't seem too odd but it does report as an 'open account' instead of a collection:

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y489/newearth78/portfoliotransunion_zps080c1666.png

I also get the automated phone calls from them just about every day and I thought those were illegal? I found some website of this lady saying if they do automated phone calls there is a number of a lawyer to call and you can sue them. Hmm.. The worst thing is when I app for credit and they check equifax, I am constantly told that I have delinquent accounts/late payments when I DO NOT. It has to be the collections that keep reporting 120 days late.

I read some things on the FDCPA violations, doesn't that mean they have been illegally reporting a higher balance than owed ($645) AND it looks like they have been reporting that I made $50 payments? I'm confused....

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Porftolio Recovery strange reporting...

A collection account is always reported as open.  It is not the same as an open CC account.

EX report shows you have been making $50 payments for 2 years.  If you have not, then that is inaccurate reporting.

The others look like they have the OC account mixed in with them, other than the last one for TU which looks correct.

CA cannot report lates. 

Message 2 of 41
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

A collection account is always reported as open.  It is not the same as an open CC account.

EX report shows you have been making $50 payments for 2 years.  If you have not, then that is inaccurate reporting.

The others look like they have the OC account mixed in with them, other than the last one for TU which looks correct.

CA cannot report lates. 

I don't understand why they show as closed account on Experian, but open on EQ and TU. When I am in my EQ report and click on 'collections', it comes up as zero/nothing. It comes up under 'other accounts' I think.

What should/can I do about EX? I haven't been making any payments to them at all. Apparently $50 was the last payment I ever made to HSBC before it was charged off, it shows as my last payment on HSBC CO too. But it looks like PRA is showing it as payment every month. And they reported false amounts owed.

Yeah, on EQ both Midland and PRA show up as "120+ days late". Midland will be deleted soon so I'm not worried about that. But PRA continues to do it.

Message 3 of 41
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

File a direct dispute with them, asserting inaccurate reporting of payments not made and/or delinquencies absent any billing due date set by the creditor on your account with them.  Debt collectors cant send billing statements with due dates, and thus have no basis for reporting lates to a CRA.  They dont even have codes for doing so.

I would not dispute via the CRA.  Their reinvestigation involvement will add nothing, and will detract by sanitizing your disptue before forwarding to the furnisher.

They must respond directly to you, reporting the outcome of their invesigation, within 30 days.

Message 4 of 41
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

A lot of people never hear back from them :/ I am tempted to do it but not sure what to say or how to word it.

Message 5 of 41
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@new_earth wrote:

A lot of people never hear back from them :/ I am tempted to do it but not sure what to say or how to word it.

new_earth, Use this templet and tweak it to your liking.

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D) and 16 CFR 660.4, of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
              validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

(Provide the following requirements of the rules, as detailed under 16 CFR 660.4):

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommended that you also send,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information to your credit file.

Sincerely, 

Message 6 of 41
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

thank you. I think I'm going to end up doing this. I just found out that this account is actually out of SOL and is not held by NJ law. The original card agreement with HSBC/Orchard Bank states that all applicable law stands in Nevada, this contract was entered and upheld by only Nevada state law, etc etc. Nevada SOL for CC's is 4 years and that is past...which should mean I am not within SOL and can proceed with this without being sued.....I guess that makes it easier to deal with, right?

Message 7 of 41
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 41
los_west
Regular Contributor

Something similar happened to me. They reported different things to different bureaus and made it seem like I made payment when I didn't even know the account existed! I filed a complaint with BBB. It took 2 weeks but PRA agreed to close the account and remove their trade lines from all my reports.
Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 9 of 41
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

ok, so when I write letters to PRA about their inaccurate reporting and violations, should I mention that the original contract they are collecting on is binding by Nevada state law, or should they already know this? Just don't want them attempting or threatening to sue if they can't.

Also, how do I contact the BBB and what do I say? So I should do both? Send a dispute letter to PRA and the BBB? No idea what to say to the BBB or where to send it. Thanks.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.