Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Misdirecting Payments

tag
chickadee
Established Member

Portfolio Misdirecting Payments

Has anyone else had trouble with Portfolio sending payments to the original creditor?

BACKSTORY: Ok so I've been avoiding Portfolio just for spite because they are horrible and I have been paying off medical bills... but mostly for spite. I just got a letter from them offering to delete my account from my credit report if I made a settlement arrangement so I'm all HELL YES! So I schedule payments for the 12 month plan and sent them from my Chase account. I had been paying $10 per month but the bill is close to $1800.

So they call me today and I told them I was accepting the settlement and made payment and they said it hadn't shown up. Ok it's only been a few days, no big deal. THAT'S when the rep tells me the last payment was received on March 19. I know I sent payment on the 27th of every month so why was it taking 3 weeks to be credited to my account?
I check with my bank. The rep for Chase bank assures me they sent it to PORTFOLIO and I was able to download the proof.

I BELIEVE PORTFOLIO HAS BEEN SENDING MY PAYMENT TO ORIGINAL CREDITOR CAPITAL ONE, WHO HAS BEEN TURNING AROUND AND SENDING IT BACK TO PORTFOLIO.

PORTFOLIO is insisting that I sent it to the original creditor (Capital One). The last "account manager" I spoke with told me he doesn't even know what a Trace # is (it's the number banks use to track electronic payments). And he refused to let me talk to any department that could look into it. He insisted that CHASE -the largest financial institution in the United States- has screwed up, and that Portfolio couldn't possibly have made a mistake.

I'm so mad I could spit. I should have taken the single payment deal because I can't fight with them for a year over these payments.

HAS ANYONE DEALT WITH THIS BEFORE?

(I'm putting the main points in CAPS because I know I'm long winded...🤣)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Portfolio Misdirecting Payments

Is Cap-1 reporting a balance owed on your CR?
Message 2 of 3
chickadee
Established Member

Re: Portfolio Misdirecting Payments

Nope!

If I could direct my bank to send a paper check I would... but I don't trust that either. The only way I can guarantee they are getting my payment is to go through their website. They have lost all credibility with me.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.