Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Assoc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery Assoc

Good morning

Im very very new to this. I just received a call from this company saying that they were attempting to collect a debt. That I had been taken to court and a judgment was found. I don't know what court or what county. They didn't say. I told them I was unemployed and had no way of paying. They didn't want to hear it. Is there some way to check to see if there is indeed a judgment against me? And if so is there anything I can do to stop them from contacting the place where I am staying? A dear friend is helping me by letting me stay with them and I don't want them involved in any problems. HELP!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Assoc

The company that called -

1.  Tell them to send you something in writing (they have to).  They should already have your mailing address.

2.  Get their mailing address and send them a cease and desist (telling them no more calling - regular mail only!)  Send it certified mail, return receipt.

3.  Tell them on the phone not to call you again (but get their contact information first).

Message 2 of 14
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Well, you could start with checking all the county courts for each of the addresses you have lived in the past.  Check your credit reports for any additional addresses they might have associated with you. Also check the credit reports to see if the judgments are appearing anywhere. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ is the best place to get all three credit reports for free each year.

Message 3 of 14
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

The company that called -

1.  Tell them to send you something in writing (they have to).  They should already have your mailing address.

2.  Get their mailing address and send them a cease and desist (telling them no more calling - regular mail only!)  Send it certified mail, return receipt.

3.  Tell them on the phone not to call you again (but get their contact information first).

Yes, don't give PRA any information. They might not even have the right person. Make them send you everything. They should already have your address.

Message 4 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Moving to rebuilding credit forum.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live with a friend I dont want to give out her address. Can email work in this case?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a court search for all the counties that I have lived in. Did the county where I opened the card and where they had me living. Nothing appears in either counties.

Message 7 of 14
bahbahd
Established Contributor

No, email will not work. It does not hold the same weight in court.  Where is the PRA dunning notice? What is appearing on all your credit reports?

Edit: You forgot to mention if you even know who the OC is and if you really had an account with them. Contact the OC? Send a debt validation letter to PRA if they persist.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, what is OC? New to this so Im not sure of the lingo. I did have a card with HSBC back in 2007. I think this is the card they are talking about.

Message 9 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, what is OC? New to this so Im not sure of the lingo.

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.