Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates

tag
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

Portfolio Recovery Associates

Hi everyone. I m back with another question. So, I have a charged-off account with chase and now Portlio Recovery Associates owns it. I have been trying to convince them to do PFD but they keep telling me, they don't do PFD's. I just talked to a Experian rep. and she told me that, once I either pay it in full or settle the accont with PRA, and have a proof that I paid.She suggested calling Experian back and have them dispute the account and will have a chance to remove it from credit history. Has anyone had success with this method. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates

I dealt with them once. The lady on the phone was nice but obviously she gets paid on what is collected. This was for a Cap 1 card Years ago and I aked and she said she was not able to. I did get 25% off the settlement and said it was not enough for me to pay off if it's going to remai and damage my credit. I finally said can you PLEASE check that. She said she was unable to. A few months later I check my reports and it's gone! I never had any verbal "yes" as they are to report all "information as accurate as possible." Glad that it was gone though. Obviously every situation will be different, but they are not allowed to say "yes we will PFD"

wrote:

Hi everyone. I m back with another question. So, I have a charged-off account with chase and now Portlio Recovery Associates owns it. I have been trying to convince them to do PFD but they keep telling me, they don't do PFD's. I just talked to a Experian rep. and she told me that, once I either pay it in full or settle the accont with PRA, and have a proof that I paid.She suggested calling Experian back and have them dispute the account and will have a chance to remove it from credit history. Has anyone had success with this method. Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

That is a common blow-off response from furnishers, suggesting you file a dispute to which they will not respond back to the CRA, thus leading to removal.

In any dispute, you must identify the specific information that is inaccurate, and any investigation and potential deletion applies only to that identified information, not to the entire collection.  

Additionally, if you dont provide specific identification of an actual inaccuracy along with some basis for supporting your assertion, the dispute can be dismissed without any requriment for investigation as being "frivolous or irrelevant."

What is the inaccuracy upon which you will base any dispute?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you past SOL for this account?

If you are, then phrase it this way: the ONLY benefit I could receive by paying this is removal from my account. Since this debt is beyond the time that you can file legal action, you can't collect unless I agree to pay you money. I have no problem waiting out the reporting period. Would PRA like to see some money? You only will if you agree to my offer.

I have an account with them already excluded on 2 bureaus and dropping from EQ in May. I received a letter from them today way me to pay in full or pay 40% for settled in full. SMH - they really think I am that stupid. What's sad is some people would accept their offer.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.