Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Reported to Experian After Paying in Full

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery Reported to Experian After Paying in Full

I have been trying to get this last collection from Portfolio Recovery Associates deleted from my Experian report. Equifax and TransUnion have deleted with no problem almost two years ago. In looking at my report more carfully I realzied that the collection was put on my Experian report in January 2016 and my last payment to pay in full was in December 2015. Could I use this as an argument when disputing? Why put the paid collection account right after I pay it in full. The account was in collection since 2012 and was reporting on my Equifax and TransUnion since 2012. This was at time when I younger and didnt know much about credit but to thanks to myfico I know much more in how to handle my credit better. 

2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Portfolio Recovery Reported to Experian After Paying in Full

Its legal to do but typically not done by lesser CAs since it costs money. This is a junk debt buyer and they report. If you didnt have a PFD agreement with them you are going to have to begin a GW letter campaign asking for removal of the entry. In any case if the original debt is from 2012 it can only be reported a max of 7 yrs + 180 days from the DoFD..

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery Reported to Experian After Paying in Full

Portfolio is definitely a difficult agency to request a deletion but it's possible. I had an old collection account with them too that had a balance. I sent them a good will letter and they declined. I paid them regardless. I disputed with all three credit agencies and Portfolio sent me a letter that listed a $0.00 balance. I scanned it and disputed the account again....a week later, the account was deleted from my credit report.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.