Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery policy is very misleading

tag
joe1234
Established Member

Re: Portfolio Recovery policy is very misleading

The credit reports states, (from Portfolio Recovery) that the collection is now closed and settled. Balance reporting is “0”. So I assume, and I hate to assume, that PR has been notified because they hold the trade line on the reports. I also assume, that most of their court won cases are with “outside attorneys”. So this should be a common practice. I’m thinking the “outside attorney” might have dropped the ball on this one. Their office said they’d look into it as I stated and that they have 6 weeks and “we’re pretty close to that”. Actually their past it, (8 weeks) but I got the feeling that the guy might have realized someone screwed up and was trying to buy time.

Message 11 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

@TheKid2 wrote:

Are you referring to the OC account that PRA is collecting for? Is so, that is correct - they can only remove the CA, they can't get the OC removed.

They bought it, like they buy all their accounts. It’s listed/reported under them, no one else. So it should be their total responsibility.

Message 12 of 30
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@joe1234 wrote:

@TheKid2 wrote:

Are you referring to the OC account that PRA is collecting for? Is so, that is correct - they can only remove the CA, they can't get the OC removed.

They bought it, like they buy all their accounts. It’s listed/reported under them, no one else. So it should be their total responsibility.

Yes, but the original credit was extended to you by agreement with the OC. They control the reporting for that account. It should say "Sold" or similar in remarks. You would need to contact them to discuss getting it removed.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 13 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

@TheKid2 wrote:

@joe1234 wrote:

@TheKid2 wrote:

Yes, but the original credit was extended to you by agreement with the OC. They control the reporting for that account. It should say "Sold" or similar in remarks. You would need to contact them to discuss getting it removed.

How does the OC control the reporting of the account?  If the debt was bought, then the buyer, PR, has the control. The OC never posted. Why would they now? Actually how could they now. And how could PR have policies of removals if they don’t have control to do so?

Message 14 of 30
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@joe1234 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you get anything in writing? If you don't have anything showing proof of the PFD or settlement agreement, then there is not much recourse. Best you can do for now is hope that the "outside attorney" figures things out with Portfolio. You might try getting a hold of a supervisor or someone higher up the food chain at Portfolio to look in to the account. Typically front line csr's are only equipped to handle basic situations and your case may need to be escalated. 

You don't need it in writing, it's on their website in the FAQs. During negotiations, their attorney declined a PFD, but because it was PRAs policy, it was removed anyways.

Ok, so you had it removed anyway because of their stated policies? Who had it removed PRA? After taking to them, and mentioning their stated policies they still said not their authority to remove. Did you write to them, call them, and talk to the attorney?

Thanks for the help!

I didn't do anything, it came off on it's on. I was waiting with my attorney for it to not come off, but didn't need him.

Message 15 of 30
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@joe1234 wrote:

How does the OC control the reporting of the account?  If the debt was bought, then the buyer, PR, has the control. The OC never posted. Why would they now? Actually how could they now. And how could PR have policies of removals if they don’t have control to do so?

That's why I asked - so there is no account / tradeline listed on your CR, just a CA?

JOINED 4/2020

Message 16 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

@TheKid2 wrote:

@joe1234 wrote:

That's why I asked - so there is no account / tradeline listed on your CR, just a CA?

Sorry, little confused. The only listing on the reports is the Portfolio Recovery Collection line.

Thanks

Message 17 of 30
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@TheKid2 wrote:

@joe1234 wrote:

He never said anything about the OC. PRA bought the debt. They hired an attorney to collect. He paid them. Attorney is referring him to PRA for deletion. PRA is referring back to attorney because it's in legal.

Message 18 of 30
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@joe1234 wrote:

Sorry, little confused. The only listing on the reports is the Portfolio Recovery Collection line.

Thanks

A Collection Account is usually tied to a tradeline / account listed on your credit report. Your collection letter will state the Original Creditor that PRA is collecting for / or bought the debt from. PRA is not a creditor - they don't extend credit, you would never see PRA on your credit report unless it is a collection account. What happened to the OC account / tradeline?

I'm asking because PRA will delete the CA by policy once the CA is over 24 months old and paid/settled. I've experienced this myself, paid and gone - but the OC (original account / tradeline) stayed on my report as a CO. PRA doesn't control the reporting on that account / tradeline even though they bought the debt.

So, are you saying that PRA won't delete the collection after you paid it?

JOINED 4/2020

Message 19 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

@TheKid2 wrote:

@joe1234 wrote:

Thanks

A Collection Account is usually tied to a tradeline / account listed on your credit report. Your collection letter will state the Original Creditor that PRA is collecting for / or bought the debt from. PRA is not a creditor - they don't extend credit, you would never see PRA on your credit report unless it is a collection account. What happened to the OC account / tradeline?

I'm asking because PRA will delete the CA by policy once the CA is over 24 months old and paid/settled. I've experienced this myself, paid and gone - but the OC (original account / tradeline) stayed on my report as a CO. PRA doesn't control the reporting on that account / tradeline even though they bought the debt.

So, are you saying that PRA won't delete the collection after you paid it?

yes. pra's collection line

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.