Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery policy is very misleading

tag
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery policy is very misleading

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

He never said anything about the OC. PRA bought the debt. They hired an attorney to collect. He paid them. Attorney is referring him to PRA for deletion. PRA is referring back to attorney because it's in legal.

Ah ok - thanks. My experience with legal was the OC, never a CA. Didn't mean to confuse anything. Hopefully OP gets help for an answer.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 21 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

Just wanted to update everyone.

So I re-called the outside law firm as requested by them last week and talked to one of their “non- lawyers”. He pretty much said the same as last time that it was settled back in April. And it was sent back to portfolio Recovery.

He said my best bet was, (and that was my next step anyway), to send a copy of the settlement letter to all 3 bureaus and to just skip Portfolio Recovery. Said it would save time and hassle. Said just do an end-run around them. I agreed.

Called Portfolio Recovery, get the usual run around, can’t tell you anything we don’t have it, blah blah blah.

I said I just wanted to know if they had received the paper work back from the outside attorney. Simple yes or no. They wouldn’t even tell me that. Finally I get transfer to the legal department. Same thing, can’t tell you anything. So I emphasize I just want to know if you got it back that’s all…she looked it up and said it’s still registered with the outside attorney. Then she said I’m going to send this to my manager right now and have the “back office” update it. Give us 24 to 48 hours and we’ll give you a response.

So Wednesday I’ll call them back and see where I stand.

Meanwhile getting ready to send copy of settlement with copy of Portfolio Recovery’s policies to the 3 bureaus.

Quick question, when I contact the bureaus, which is the best way? I know opening a dispute can cause your score to fall, so I don’t want that. What is best?

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Message 22 of 30
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@joe1234 wrote:

Meanwhile getting ready to send copy of settlement with copy of Portfolio Recovery’s policies to the 3 bureaus.

Quick question, when I contact the bureaus, which is the best way? I know opening a dispute can cause your score to fall, so I don’t

My Advice. Try to work with Portfolio. Looks to me you talked to PRA and Atty on the phone. You did not send them any thing wrting.  Send PRA a letter from Atty and tell them it is settled and they should remove it. I would not send any documents to Reporting Bureaus. You dont want to be in a situation where they report it as settled and leave the collection on the report and create complications in the future for complete removal. In my case Atty said I have to wait 30 days for the letter to come.  Two days after I received the letter PRA removed the negative information. My suggestion, send PRA a letter today along with the letter you received from Atty and ask them to remove it.

Message 23 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

@Red1Blue wrote:

@joe1234 wrote:

Quick question, when I contact the bureaus, which is the best way? I know opening a dispute can cause your score to fall, so I don’t

My Advice. Try to work with Portfolio. Looks to me you talked to PRA and Atty on the phone. You did not send them any thing wrting.  Send PRA a letter from Atty and tell them it is settled and they should remove it. I would not send any documents to Reporting Bureaus. You dont want to be in a situation where they report it as settled and leave the collection on the report and create complications in the future for complete removal. In my case Atty said I have to wait 30 days for the letter to come.  Two days after I received the letter PRA removed the negative information. My suggestion, send PRA a letter today along with the letter you received from Atty and ask them to remove it.

Portfolio Recovery knows it’s settled because they updated the 3 credit bureaus to settle and “0” owed. That was over 2 months ago. But don’t seem to want to pull the whole collection line from the reports. Like i said I'm to call them back wen. the 24th. I just want to see what page they're on first before any further actions from me.

Message 24 of 30
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@joe1234 wrote:

Portfolio Recovery knows it’s settled because they updated the 3 credit bureaus to settle and “0” owed. That was over 2 months ago. But don’t seem to want to pull the whole collection line from the reports. Like i said I'm to call them back wen. the 24th. I just want to see what page they're on first before any further actions from me.

I dont remember any where you posting or saying that PRA updated to $0 balance. All I read is you are going back and fourth between PRA and Atty. Good Luck with what ever you decided to. I know PRA is pretty good in keeping up their word and removing from reports. I dealt with them for getting rid off 5 collection accounts.

Message 25 of 30
sjt
Senior Contributor

@TheKid2 wrote:

@joe1234 wrote:

@TheKid2 wrote:

Are you referring to the OC account that PRA is collecting for? Is so, that is correct - they can only remove the CA, they can't get the OC removed.

They bought it, like they buy all their accounts. It’s listed/reported under them, no one else. So it should be their total responsibility.

Yes, but the original credit was extended to you by agreement with the OC. They control the reporting for that account. It should say "Sold" or similar in remarks. You would need to contact them to discuss getting it removed.

If the OC sold the account, then the only responsibility the OC has is to report the account as sold and update to a zero balance. PRM is responsible for the reporting of the collection. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 26 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

@Red1Blue wrote:

@joe1234 wrote:

I dont remember any where you posting or saying that PRA updated to $0 balance. All I read is you are going back and fourth between PRA and Atty. Good Luck with what ever you decided to. I know PRA is pretty good in keeping up their word and removing from reports. I dealt with them for getting rid off 5 collection accounts.

Yes, message 11 mentioed they had updated to "0"... its just the run around they give.

We will see tomorrow if they keep their word….but so far dealing with them has not been easy.

Message 27 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

So, gave Portfolio Recovery a call as they had requested. Same run around….  Outside attorney still has it…Used the same line “I’ll forward it to my manager, to the back office to get updated…

It’s very frustrating, it seems from their policies to be a rather simple process, payment/settlement than after a couple of reporting cycles it’s off. So I guess I’ll have to go to the bureaus directly.

Message 28 of 30
joe1234
Established Member

Ok, wanted to give everyone an update on this situation. After making all the calls and staying on top of the matter, it finally dropped off all the reports!!

Seems it got lost in the shuffle as they say, and once Portfolio Recovery updated that they had received the information from the outside attorney it went though. They had updated it to zero, but it was still listed with the outside attorney so that caused a stall in the process. So the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

By the way a nice 28 point bump!

Thanks for everyone’s input, hope this thread helps anyone in the same boat.

Message 29 of 30
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@joe1234 wrote:

Ok, wanted to give everyone an update on this situation. After making all the calls and staying on top of the matter, it finally dropped off all the reports!!

Seems it got lost in the shuffle as they say, and once Portfolio Recovery updated that they had received the information from the outside attorney it went though. They had updated it to zero, but it was still listed with the outside attorney so that caused a stall in the process. So the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

By the way a nice 28 point bump!

Thanks for everyone’s input, hope this thread helps anyone in the same boat.

glad it worked out for you.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.