cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery says they now do PFD!!! Is this possible?

tag
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Portfolio Recovery says they now do PFD!!! Is this possible?

I just got off the phone with Portfolio Recovery and they told me they have a new policy whereby they will delete the tradeline from your credit reports. Considering everything I've read about them on these boards, it seems too good to be true. But, I thought it was worth sharing if it can help someone else. I refused their offer so, have not gotten anything in writing but if they call me back to accept my offer, I will definitely get it in writing and update the post.

My balance is past the SOL which probably has something to do with their newfound willingness. When they called I explained to them that:

• The debt was not mine (opened fraudulently) 
  • The SOL had run out (they knew this)
  • I am content to wait out the remaining 18 months until it falls off
  • Since it would cost me time and money resolve, I would be willing to settle BUT ONLY if they agreed to delete from my credit reports in their entirety

At this point she explained their new policy (due to PFD being a major concern of many people). She said it will show as paid in full within 10 days and deleted entirely within 30 days.

They offered me a settlement of approximately 75% of the original debt. I countered with 50% and told them I was not negotiable since the SOL had expired. He tried to counter again and I told him not to waste his breath because when I say "not-negotiable" I meant it. But, that he was welcome to call me back if he changed his mind. $400 is > $0

That said, this brings up a question. Is there any option that would help get back in the good graces of the original creditor (Home Depot card from Citi)? Do I need to pay the full amount for that? partial? Or, because it is already on collections has that boat sailed.

Message 1 of 66
65 REPLIES 65
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery says they now do PFD!!! Is this possible?

Yes, it is true.  Someone on another post just confirmed it.  It was deleted from my Experian report.  Waiting to see it was deleted from my Equifax report too.  

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 2 of 66
Civil
Regular Contributor

Yes, they are deleting paid accounts because mine got deleted last week and I paid it on 9/6/18. I also got confirmation that they are deleting settled accounts also...They have a new policy in place now

Message 3 of 66
Harmony12
Frequent Contributor

I got a Credit Karma Alert that PRA was deleted from EQ. I settled the account mid September.

Starting CK FAKOS 6/28/2018
TU 503
EQ 498
Discover EX 537

FICO 8
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 557 701
TU 566 715
EX 514 711

Mortgage Scores FICO 5,4,2
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 494 685
TU 480 703
EX 479 693

Goal Score 720
Message 4 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Portfolio Recovery collections account was also deleted recently, havent checked EQ & TU.

FICO 8 SCORES
EX 657 EQ 629 TU 634

Message 5 of 66
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

I still want to see this in writing either on their website like Midland or in a letter to someone.
I dont trust PRA as far as I can throw them!!
Message 6 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked, and it does indeed say on the website that they will delete within 30 days of settlement or final payment.

@gdtobefree wrote:
I still want to see this in writing either on their website like Midland or in a letter to someone.
I dont trust PRA as far as I can throw them!!

Message 7 of 66
Civil
Regular Contributor

Believe it or not it’s true, they delete my account and I am in different credit groups people are saying the same thing even on my Facebook group.

Message 8 of 66
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Well my paid but settled  for less collection with them was deleted this week on my remaining 2 reports (had been previously deleted on EQ due to wrong information still there 18 months after it was paid).  But in my case it was already due to fall off between now and the end of November anyway.  So I don't if this new policy had any effect.  But I'm happy for the rest of you being set free.

So is there any effect on the original account's negative information or is that outside of Portfolio's influence?

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 9 of 66
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

I looked but didnt see it.
I will look again.
Message 10 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.