cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery sent me a bill as proof. Is that enough?

tag
ccgal16
Established Member

Portfolio Recovery sent me a bill as proof. Is that enough?

I disputed a collection item with Portfolio Recovery. In response they mailed me a bill with an incorrect address that I've never lived at. And it just simply stated that capital one gave my collection to them. That's it. They didn't send any contract that I signed or anything. 
Any advice on how I should handle going forward? 
i should also Note that Portfolio recovery has "closed" the account on one CRA (not paid) but on another CRA it is still listed as an active collection. Not sure if that matters or not. 

7 REPLIES 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery sent me a bill as proof. Is that enough?

@ccgal16 wrote:

I disputed a collection item with Portfolio Recovery. In response they mailed me a bill with an incorrect address that I've never lived at. And it just simply stated that capital one gave my collection to them. That's it. They didn't send any contract that I signed or anything. 
i should also Note that Portfolio recovery has "closed" the account on one CRA (not paid) but on another CRA it is still listed as an active collection. Not sure if that matters or not. 

When did you receive this letter ? When did they say Capital One sold the account to them? Did they give you any details at all ?

Message 2 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@ccgal16 wrote:

First there is NO requirement that they send you a "contract" or something with your signature. Most of the time a statement from the OC is sufficient for validation purposes. 

Do you believe that the original capital one account is not yours?

Message 3 of 8
ccgal16
Established Member

The letter was dated in Feb but I just received it in the mail, which I thought was weird. 
the letter also stated that capital one sold the account to Portfolio back in Feb as well. They did not provide any other details, just the Address and phone number for Portfolio. 

Message 4 of 8
ccgal16
Established Member

Understood. And correct, that account is NOT mine. Even the address they have on file is incorrect. I have Disputed this with that information, but they always say its correct, but I dont know how that is possible. 

Message 5 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@ccgal16 wrote:

Understood. And correct, that account is NOT mine. Even the address they have on file is incorrect. I have Disputed this with that information, but they always say its correct, but I dont know how that is possible. 

If it a fraudulent account you have to file a police report for ID theft and provide that as proof. Without a police report the CA or OC just needs to have evidence that there is/was an account under your name/SSN for a dispute to be validated 

Message 6 of 8
ccgal16
Established Member

Okay understood. I will do just that. Thank you so much for your help! 

Message 7 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.