Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery

tag
SemperGumby
Contributor

Portfolio Recovery

So I just got a letter from Portfolio Recovery regarding my old Amazon credit card I defaulted on.  They actually have three of my old accounts. Right now I am in the position of being able to pay the three off.  I am thinking of offering $750 pay for delete for all 3, and wanted to get everyone's take.  

Has anyone had success with this? Or received any letters such as this?

Anyways they sent me a letter that had a settlement offer of $5--.  The original was $800 or so.    There are two interersting things on the letter however.  

""Within approximately 30 day of your final payment successfully posting, we will request that the three major credit reporting agencies delete our tradeline related to your account from your credit bureau report" 

They also included 

""The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt.  Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it.  Depending on the laws of your state, certain actions, such as making a payment or promising to pay the debt, may restate the time period for the filing of a lawsuit against you' but even if that were the case, we still will not sue you on this debt""

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery

Did you have a question? It wasn't clear from your post. 

Message 2 of 21
SemperGumby
Contributor

I updated it to include my questions.

Message 3 of 21
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Call them and make your offer. They have been pretty consistant on PFD with PIF or settlement. Yes it is their policy since last year. Good Luck! Keep us informed.

Message 4 of 21
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

I'm on my phone right now otherwise, I'd copy and paste my reply in an earlier post about PRA (a week or two ago if you want to search my history). But in short, call them! They may not accept your offer but it will get the ball rolling and their system will be updated to reflect the notes of the call and your "willingness" to pay. They have their own internal scoring system to prioritize who to call vs who to ignore. And, in my experience, once you show a willingness to pay you'll begin to receive more frequent calls. I went from getting letters every few months to bi-weekly calls.

As I've told others, the discount you are able to negotiate is largely based on:

• The SOL: If the SOL has expired your leverage and negotiating power increases significantly (your debt is very likely passed the SOL which is why you received the letter with the clause about not suing).
  • Your patience - It may take a few calls, giving the same spiel again and again, over a month or two before they agree. In the end, I paid 40% of the balance (60% discount)
  • Timing - Pure speculation on my part but I think it's good to talk with them at the end of the month (quotas)

What is the total amount of the combined debt? It might help us better guide you on what their response will be or how to proceed?

Message 5 of 21
SemperGumby
Contributor

I think the 3 accounts may total $2500 , maybe $2800 under what PRA says I owe them. The original debt was under $2000. They’ve already said they won’t sue.
Message 6 of 21
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

In my opinion 750 is lower than they'll go. I'd only expect them to go that low if the debt is less than one year from falling off your reports. And, if that were the case, it would probably make more sense to wait it out,

That said, it's worth a shot! 

As I said, it will take patience. It is highly unlikely you'll get near there on your first or second call. But, each time you talk to them I recommend you communicate the following:

• I'm not hiding. You have my number. I'm willing to pay today. 
  • I'm content to simply wait out the collections as I have no immediate need for new credit
  • The SOL is past and you have no recourse. And $750 is a lot better than $0

As I mentioned previously, they have a scoring system they use to prioritize people's likelihood to pay. And I suspect once you've shown a willingness to pay, your score goes up and you get more calls. So... you'll probably need to go through this spiel a few times. If they say they can't do it politley end the call and wait until the next call. 

Good Luck!

Message 7 of 21
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you got the $. Get it over with. Offer them 750. If they bite, pay it. And say so long to them reporting on your reports and causing havoc on your scores.

Message 8 of 21
SemperGumby
Contributor

The reason I’m considering it is because I want to buy a house in the next year. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever get an update  on these accounts? I have 2 accounts with them and am trying to see what I should do as well.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.