Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery

I just offered $500 for a $1200 debt. It took them 3 weeks but recieved a letter that they accepted the offer and after payment it will be removed. I concur that they are pretty consistent with thier PFD policy.

I wish more CAs would adopt thier policy. They would have much better success collecting money that way!

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve paid off several debts with this company now. The best I’ve gotten is about 50% on one and close to 60% on another. IMO, the PFD is sort of leverage for them because they know we want this off our credit when we call them! It seems they don’t go lower than 40%. 50% took a lot of negotiating and these were too old to sue me for too. Honestly, the PFD is win win, and since you owe this money, you should be happy to get off paying 50-60%. If you can’t afford to get them all off at once, do what you can and save for the rest. It’s still better than 100% and better than having to pay and still see it on your report!
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

going through this with PRA right now. They have my old barcalys acoount and in the notes theire stating they cant sue if they wanted too. So im about to offer them 40 percent of the balance and see if they bite. One question I do have though. When their tradeline is deleted does it raise your score any or is just one less thing that's seen on your report?

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally a removal of a negative tradeline will result in points, yes. But it is all dependant on what you have going on like how old the tradeline is.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Generally a removal of a negative tradeline will result in points, yes. But it is all dependant on what you have going on like how old the tradeline is.

Gotcha. We shall see once everything updates and shows their tradeline deleted.  *Fingers crossed*

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two collection accounts from portfolio recovery. I contacted them and I paid the lowest amount and that was less than 30 days ago or right at the 30-day period And it's been deleted from all of my credit reports I'm going to make an attempt to pay the 2nd portfolio recovery account soon and get that one deleted.
Message 16 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just offered $500 for a $1200 debt. It took them 3 weeks but recieved a letter that they accepted the offer and after payment it will be removed. I concur that they are pretty consistent with thier PFD policy.

I wish more CAs would adopt thier policy. They would have much better success collecting money that way!

It's actually frowned upon by most lenders as it creates a false history for the person requesting credit.

Message 17 of 21
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's actually frowned upon by most lenders as it creates a false history for the person requesting credit.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner Huh? On the flip side. More people will have the incentive that they can pay their debts if not the full amount that arent passed on to us as the consumer. Works both ways. Could be one of my patients that got a severe illness or injury and me knowing they will be in ICU for a while. Once recovered they will probably be behind on their bills and something may lead to a collection. Nothing false about it. They deserve a chance to clear their name. It was no fault of theirs and doesnt reflect what they had before life threw hard balls at them.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure I'm following...

Frowned upon meaning deleting or a PFD is creating an inaccurate history..

Coming from the bottom I have had to put in so much work. Unless the debt is going to be deleted or its effecting my utilization...nobody will be getting paid. I feel that way because a derogatory can kill you for 7 years but paying the debt in full does not benefit the consumer usually. Unless its tied into your utilization or something like that.

And bonus for me... I just had a new collection hit all 3 CRAs...it was from 4 years ago...a US Cellular bill. Never sent me anything via mail or email...They refuse to delete it...in this case a bill that old does not accurately represent where I'm at now financialky is responsible for a 50 point drop across the board.

Im still feeling as though I wish that most CAs would adopt a policy for a pfd because in this case...it makes sense.
Message 19 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner Huh? On the flip side. More people will have the incentive that they can pay their debts if not the full amount that arent passed on to us as the consumer. Works both ways. Could be one of my patients that got a severe illness or injury and me knowing they will be in ICU for a while. Once recovered they will probably be behind on their bills and something may lead to a collection. Nothing false about it. They deserve a chance to clear their name. It was no fault of theirs and doesnt reflect what they had before life threw hard balls at them.

I actually agree with you, but while it may not be indicative of the type of person they are, it's a history. Lenders don't care about the reason. They just want to know when someone defaults on $10k of debt. I'm stuck with collections that won't PFD after almost dying in the hospital. On a recon, they want to know what happened, but they don't care that I spent 10s of thousands in cash to keep my bills up to date for 4 months while in the hospital. They didn't care that I paid off my hospital bills with my life savings instead of filing BK. All they cared about is me defaulting by $6 on my Kay's card. All they saw was I prioritized more important things over my credit cards and it could happen to them.

Is it fair? Nope. But really, when you look at credit, the system isn't fair. Lenders don't like to loan money to people unless they don't really need to borrow it. 15 years of perfect credit ruined by one $6 late payment for the next 7 years. Should someone be able to remove something like that because of the circumstances? Yes, but lenders want to see an accurate history because they look at the numbers and statistics, not the person. If they truly were sympathetic, we wouldn't have to fight for goodwill deletions and PFD. An accurate history shows it happened once, which means it can happen again. I know if I end up in the hospital again, there's no way I could repeat what I did the first time. I would most certainly have to file BK. Without my accurate history, lenders would never know it happened before and put themselves at financial risk. And that's why it's frowned upon. It has nothing to do with fairness or morality, just $$$.

That being said, I'm not gonna let the man hold me down for something out of my control. ✊ Viva la PFD

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.