Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio is suddenly calling me

tag
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Portfolio is suddenly calling me

Although Portfolio has sent settlement offers every few months for probably two years, they've never called us at all until this week. Suddenly they're calling from various numbers every few days, but they haven't left any messages. The account is the result of an HSBC CO in 2007 and the SOL ran its course over a year ago. I was just curious whether anyone else had this experience with them. I'm wondering why they suddenly got more aggresive.

At this point I don't have the funds to try a PFD or anything, but I'm hoping to pursue that in the future.

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Portfolio is suddenly calling me

@SFernandez13461 wrote:

Although Portfolio has sent settlement offers every few months for probably two years, they've never called us at all until this week. Suddenly they're calling from various numbers every few days, but they haven't left any messages. The account is the result of an HSBC CO in 2007 and the SOL ran its course over a year ago. I was just curious whether anyone else had this experience with them. I'm wondering why they suddenly got more aggresive.

At this point I don't have the funds to try a PFD or anything, but I'm hoping to pursue that in the future.

They probably have a database with debt beyond a certain age, and they are robo dialing them all.. if its past SOL they are hoping to find someone who doesn't know the law, and since it is older, might be in a position to pay now..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 5
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

You're probably right. I was wondering what would've made them think it was collectible all the sudden, but it's probably just that.

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 3 of 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@SFernandez13461 wrote:

You're probably right. I was wondering what would've made them think it was collectible all the sudden, but it's probably just that.

Well;; you have also shown improvement in your credit makeup, and they likely can see that if they have soft pulled you.

I have started to give CAs more respect in how the come to the conclusion that people can pay debt, or the people they specifically target. They may be unethical or cheats, but they aren't stupid.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 5
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Portfolio has been known to robodial and have been accused of it.

Google them, you'll see.

As for why they are doing it? My guess is that it's getting close to the end of the year and they are trying to fluff their numbers a bit.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.