Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio the bottom feeder

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio the bottom feeder

Portfolio must be the lowest of the bottome feeders. Just got off the phone with them when they called me. The will not delete for anything even if it is not yours per the rep. I said they did not need to call me or mail me anything unless it is a statement saying they are going to delete in exchange for $$$, but that I was stating clearly it is not my debt, I am not responsible for the debt and will only pay it to have it removed from negatively affecting my report as I should not have a debt that is not mine reporting negatively.

Guess 2021 will come around eventually for it to naturally fall off.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Portfolio the bottom feeder

If it is clearly not your debt and you are willing to place that statement in a sworn police report, then the debt collector will be totally removed from any involvement in removal of the collection from your credit report.

You can file a police report, and then send a copy of the police report to the CRA, along with proof of identity, and the CRA must then block the collection from your credit report without any verification or involvement of the debt collector.

See FCRA 605B and the "Victim of Identity Theft" sticky-post in the upper section of the General Credit Topics forum.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is through divorce that it isn't and I know that holds no ground with them, but I think it should when orders show that.

I am just mad that I even with the order I can't pay it off and have them remove it. I will have this only negative until if falls off when I shouldn't.
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If it was a joint account, then a divorce decree assessing who is obligated for future payments does not remove you from your obligation with the creditor.

The creditor will, and legally can, still pursue the debt with both parties.

You can then pursue separate civil litigation against the former spouse for their violation of the terms of your divorce decree, but the creditor is not involved in that process, and it does not change the terms of your contract with the creditor.

If your only basis is that a divorce decree addressed continued liability for repayment, that is not basis for asserting the debt is no longer yours.

Message 4 of 7
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Make them prove its your debt.
Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

These guys call me once a week on debt that is nearly 2 decades old now. As soon as they ID themselves i just hang up. I will not talk to them and I do not respond to anything they send in the mail. These guys are junk debt buyers and not a collection agency per se. They violate reporting laws at times by reporting as debt factorers which they are clearly not as a factor buys legitimate company receivables at a discount.
Message 6 of 7
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Gdale, you haven't sent them a FOAD or C&D letter yet?

Have they sent you anything in the mail yet?
Does it have their statement about being past suit and reporting SOL?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.