Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible reaging of collection account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible reaging of collection account

I have a medical collection account on my credit report that has been there for 5 years. I recently signed up for IDnotify and upon looking through my report it showed that there was a derogatory line item that showed that same account with a date reflecting September 2018. Is this reaging?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible reaging of collection account

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a medical collection account on my credit report that has been there for 5 years. I recently signed up for IDnotify and upon looking through my report it showed that there was a derogatory line item that showed that same account with a date reflecting September 2018. Is this reaging?

If that is the status date then no. Reaging is when one changes the DoFD as that is a legally set in stone date. When a TL is updated it will be updated with the current month its reported. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Possible reaging of collection account

Just as with any type of derog, as it gets older (i.e., more time has passed since initial delinquency), if it remains unpaid, then the extension of period of delinquency has a negative score impact.

Adding age to an unpaid, delinquent debt is not improper "reaging."  It is a fact of life.

What is important in scoring of prior derogs, including collections, is whether or not the current status continues to show that the debt remains delinquent, and thus has extended in time of total period of delinquency.

Is the debt paid, and what is being reported as the current status?

The term "improper reaging" is usually used to designate the improper reporting of a new and later date of first delinquency, thus reaging the exclusion date, and not to the reaging of the period of overall delinquency by updated reporting that the debt remains delinquent.

Did the updated reporting change the DOFD?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.