Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly Successful Cap1 Best Buy GW

tag
navyox
Regular Contributor

Possibly Successful Cap1 Best Buy GW

UPDATE:  Defintiely Unsuccessful

I had a single 30 day late back in early 2012.   About a month ago I sent them a GW letter and got a response back that initially I thought was successful, but now I'm not so sure.   The response said:

We are now reporting to all agencies as follows:

Open Account with zero balance and no past due payments as of the date of this letter.

I could read that in one of two ways.   Either "as of today there is no past due payment" or "as of today there has never been a past due payment".   I was going to call and ask for clarification, but as I'm sure most you know Cap1 Best Buy cards are now Citi cards as of last week.   What is the consensus?  I already used my free report for the year so I guess I'll have to buy a CR to know for sure.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Possibly Successful Cap1 Best Buy GW

@navyox wrote:

I had a single 30 day late back in early 2012.   About a month ago I sent them a GW letter and got a response back that initially I thought was successful, but now I'm not so sure.   The response said:

We are now reporting to all agencies as follows:

Open Account with zero balance and no past due payments as of the date of this letter.

I could read that in one of two ways.   Either "as of today there is no past due payment" or "as of today there has never been a past due payment".   I was going to call and ask for clarification, but as I'm sure most you know Cap1 Best Buy cards are now Citi cards as of last week.   What is the consensus?  I already used my free report for the year so I guess I'll have to buy a CR to know for sure.

You will have to pull a CR for sure to find out ...

CIti is closing the CAP1 TL and reporting a new TL so it may have been a play on words form CAP1 ....yeah right current because they aren't reporting but lets hope for the best and your GW reached them in time and was deleted ...

If you pull a CR give them so time transition reporting can be slow...

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
navyox
Regular Contributor

The letter they sent me was dated August 16th.   So it has been 5 weeks, maybe I'll pull one this morning.

Message 3 of 9
navyox
Regular Contributor

Pulled my Experian annual freebie, the 30 day late is still listed.

Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@navyox wrote:

So it was just a play on words from CAP1 .......sorry this happened to you

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 9
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@navyox wrote:

So it was just a play on words from CAP1 .......sorry this happened to you

I hate when that happens. I would personally GW them everyday until they get so annoyed that they give in. I learned that one from the Shawshank Redemption Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 9
navyox
Regular Contributor

Is it possible to get a GW adjustment to a closed account?

Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, a GW is for anything.

And Cap 1 may be a hard nut to crack but they do fold. 

Message 8 of 9
navyox
Regular Contributor

Update:

Called number on letter from Cap one, it connected me to Citi.   Citi CSR was sympathetic and nice but said they couldn't adjust anything older than 6 months (30 day late is October 2011).    I called several Cap One numbers I found here and finally talked to a CSR.   She told me that A) since it was sold to Citi they can no longer do anything with the accounts, it would have to be Citi, and B) if the information is accurate nothing can be done (IE there is no such thing as a GW adjustment).   

I plead my case but was getting nowhere, so I will try again.    I don't believe the Cap One employee, but I do believe the Citi employee about Citi not being able to do anything back that far.   That makes sense.  

E:  Just tried a follow-up call with DSNB Macy's, 0-2 on the day, which brings me to 0-8 on GW requests so far (3 letters, 3 phone calls ((Dept. of Veterans Affairs reporting 2 baddies). 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.