cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-HIPPA: Changing addresses on older closed accounts?

tag
systemsengage

Pre-HIPPA: Changing addresses on older closed accounts?

Basically... Can I? Should I?

I am in the pre stage of the HIPPA Process (for the 1 remaining blemish on my report) which recommends getting old addresses deleted. But I've read that having addresses removed can result in reports tied to the old addresses being deleted. That would be a bad thing for me I think because none of them were negative and having them deleted would shorten my credit history. However, if I can get this 1 last medical bugger to go away, I'll finally be completely clear of all negatives; it might be worth the risk.

The closed accounts are mostly store cards (Best Buy, Lowes, etc.) closed due to inactivity. One is a $5,000 Citi card I closed myself in 2006 after transferring the balance. I didn't know back then that closing "healthy" cards was bad. My oldest current active account is only 7 years old. A couple of the closed ones tied to old addresses date back 10+ years.

So can I update the addresses on closed accounts? Should I? If so, how? Writing to the creditors? Calling?

Thanks y'all. I've gotten my score from the low 600's to 735 within the last six months, and I learned it all from reading these forums. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pre-HIPPA: Changing addresses on older closed accounts?

If an address only has good accounts tied to it, dont ask it be deleted... You can call previous creditors reporting closed accounts and update your address if you wish.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I cant seak to how or why the proponents of the so-called HIPAA process view deletion of old addresses as relevant to their theory of deletion, so dont know why it would be important.

As for avoiding contact with the prior creditors that might result in their decision to delete their accounts in total, I would presume that they are no longer making any regular monthly updates, and the accounts are simply lying dormant.  It might be wise not to contact them.

You might try contacting only the CRA and request their deletion of the old addresses, thus avoiding contact with the creditors.

Message 3 of 4
systemsengage

The concept of deleting old addresses makes sense to me in the context of the hippa process. I've read some fairly recent success stories so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Maybe I'll just skip the address change part and see if it works.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.