Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Judgement Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-Judgement Advice

Hi all! So before I unload, I’ve been rebuilding both mine and hubby’s credit, slowly but surely. I’ve also contacted our lawyer in regards to what I’m posting below. I guess I’m looking to see if someone else has gone through a similar or identical situation and can provide advice or recommendations.

We purchased a VERY used car back in 2017. Well my husband was the one who did all the logistics and looking at the vehicle, etc. I actually sat with our kids in our vehicle outside on more than one occasion. So we’re both to blame for what comes next. He comes out and says everything is almost done. The salesman needs signatures from me. Apparently I’m the co-signer. Wasn’t sure how that could happen when I have NO job or income. So stupidly I sign. I don’t look at the paperwork for at least a few days. Come to find out, I’m listed as the purchaser. Not happy at all. Car ends up having significant issues over the next few months prompting me to even get the Attorney General involved. Car dies just a few months short of 1 year. We take it to Dodge, they say $1500 to fix, I vehemently don’t want to pay it, my husband and mother in law talk me into it. Well we pay and guess what?! It didn’t get fixed, now they need another $2500. Mind you the vehicle has 160k on it now, 10 years old, rust, etc. Nope I’m not replacing the engine basically. So we call the finance company and say car is dead, we’re not paying on a dead car , come and get it. 6 months plus LATER and they finally get it.

7 am this morning, I’m awoken to someone pounding the door down. I obviously have not had coffee and answer the door. Stupidly acknowledging who I am basically and we’re served papers. It is listed as a consumer credit transaction and we have 20 days to respond or else it’s court and I’m assuming a judgement.

I would like to know if we might have a shot with getting it settled beforehand for less than the $6915 owed?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Pre-Judgement Advice

Since you already have a lawyer. They can do all kinds of payment plans that would fit your budget pre-trial. Maybe they can file the lemon law as we call it in Fl. Each state is different. Maybe someone will come along and give their situation that matches what your going thru. Just didn't want you to think someone wouldnt answer your question. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Our lawyer still hasn’t responded and I’m getting super impatient. Apparently from what I’m reading there is only a few states where they can actually use another persons income as your own for financing. Meaning my husbands income as mine. I’m thinking that would be the only grounds of not having to pay everything, but we’ll see! I’m hoping we can at least settle for something reasonable and maybe squeeze in deleting their trade line off our reports?! Lol
Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If it made it to a law firm and you were served. Dont want to burst your balloon. Please dont get your hopes up on any deletions if it had to go this far. It would be nice. Highly doubt that would happen. Best part whatever they can come up with. It will be settled and show 0 balance. Almost forgot. Welcome to the forums BTW!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.