Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress but no headway with Midland or Portfolio

tag
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Progress but no headway with Midland or Portfolio

I was able to get a couple of medical bills paid and pulled back from the collection agency today, and I paid BOA what they asked for as a settlement. (I know that's not coming off any time soon, but since they're also my bank, I really wanted to pay them.) 

So now I have 4 with Midland, and 3 with Portfolio.

Midland I talked to some guy in another country. He was rather rude and dismissive and asking me questions that were really none of his business. (Such as why I want these off my credit report. I told him I'm not in a hurry, but I just want them off...which is actually the truth) He wouldn't even offer me a 20% discount, AND he would only work on one at a time with me. I finally just hung up on him.

Portfolio, I spoke with a very nice lady, but she wasn't willing to come down much either. I think she thinks I hung up on her, but I didn't. (maybe I muted my phone accidentally?) 

I guess I'll wait 30 days and try again? These are all debts from around 2013 to 2014. 

When/if I do agree to pay them, what is the quickest and best way to do so? 

Thanks!

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ForeverGardening
Established Member

Re: Progress but no headway with Midland or Portfolio

I filed a complaint with the BBB and CFPB for Midland today. Will update with results!

NFCU CashRewards: 5K | Finger Hut: 700 | VS: 500 | Marathon 600 | Lane Bryant 550 | Overstock 1.8K | Children's Place 750 | Torrid 400 | My Smile Care 4K

FICO 8 - EX: 590 | EQ: 600 | TU: 589 -- 11/14/18
Oldest account: 9.3 years
Newest: 2 month
Average: 4y 7m
Inquiries: 15/24
Baddies: 3 collections | 3 30 day lates ranging from 2015-2017
Message 2 of 13
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

What was the reason for your complaint? And yes, please keep me updated!

Message 3 of 13
ForeverGardening
Established Member

Despite numerous attempts of seeking validation with this creditor, this debt still has not been appropriately verified as mine.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏽
NFCU CashRewards: 5K | Finger Hut: 700 | VS: 500 | Marathon 600 | Lane Bryant 550 | Overstock 1.8K | Children's Place 750 | Torrid 400 | My Smile Care 4K

FICO 8 - EX: 590 | EQ: 600 | TU: 589 -- 11/14/18
Oldest account: 9.3 years
Newest: 2 month
Average: 4y 7m
Inquiries: 15/24
Baddies: 3 collections | 3 30 day lates ranging from 2015-2017
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mmmagique wrote:

I was able to get a couple of medical bills paid and pulled back from the collection agency today, and I paid BOA what they asked for as a settlement. (I know that's not coming off any time soon, but since they're also my bank, I really wanted to pay them.) 

So now I have 4 with Midland, and 3 with Portfolio.

Midland I talked to some guy in another country. He was rather rude and dismissive and asking me questions that were really none of his business. (Such as why I want these off my credit report. I told him I'm not in a hurry, but I just want them off...which is actually the truth) He wouldn't even offer me a 20% discount, AND he would only work on one at a time with me. I finally just hung up on him.

Portfolio, I spoke with a very nice lady, but she wasn't willing to come down much either. I think she thinks I hung up on her, but I didn't. (maybe I muted my phone accidentally?) 

I guess I'll wait 30 days and try again? These are all debts from around 2013 to 2014. 

When/if I do agree to pay them, what is the quickest and best way to do so? 

Thanks!

The question the rep asked you is not uncommon.  They basically want to know if you are in a position of desperation (i.e. needing to make a large purchase soon) so they can know where they stand in terms of negotiating.  I recently settled an account with Midland and was asked the same thing.  I was able to get them to settle for 45% of the debt and it is a few months shy of being 2 years old.  Maybe you should call again or at a different time to get a more flexible rep on the line?  My best advice is to make a lowball offer and be firm about it.  They'll place you on hold so they can consult with their supervisor and likely come back with a counteroffer.  At that point I would tell them you need to consult with your spouse to see if you can pay more and come back with a slightly higher offer than your 1st letting them know that's all you can afford.  Eventually you'll find a middle ground.  Midland will delete if you settle and the account is at least 2 yers old.  Portfolio Recovery is now deleting accounts after they're settled or paid in full within 30 days.  I plan to try my luck with PRA tomorrow.  GOOD LUCK!  

Message 5 of 13
outofcredit
Established Contributor

I previously had 4 collections accounts with Midland from 2013/2014.  Last year I simply went to their website, registered and was able to see all my collection accounts listed separately with settlement options for each one.  I opted for paying 60% as a lump sum payment and the account would be settled in full.  Other options included payment plans etc.  Within 30 days of making my payment the account was first updated on my reports to show a zero balance due and then deleted entirely without ever calling or writing Midland.  I did one account at a time until all were settled and removed.  I never once spoke to anyone and no one ever tried to contact me via phone.  

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 6 of 13
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

I have tried logging onto their site several times, but it tells me I have the wrong information. Smiley Sad 

Message 7 of 13
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

So I paid one time payments on the four that are showing on my credit report. They were discounted payments that said that the one time payment would satisfy the debt, but then after paying one of them, it showed a balance? I will wait for Monday and see if I get a receipt of some sort? 

I hope I didn't just throw 1200 down the drain...

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t stress. I made a one time payment with the discount and it took about a week for the entire balance to update to $0. They will update it and then remove it completely.
Message 9 of 13
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Ok, that eases my worry some. Smiley Happy I'll give it some time, then. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.