Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Punishment for payment plans.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Punishment for payment plans.

Just a heads up to anyone making payment plans with Bank of America.  They will automatically report you as being "30 days late" for six consecutive months, even if you are paying as agreed.

BA claims that is your punishment for going on the payment plan.

They have done this to several of my clients.  They also will verify it on the phone, if you ask the right questions. 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Punishment for payment plans.

I have gone the rounds with BA about reporting accurate information.

I have gone the rounds with the CRA's.  Because BA comes back with saying it is valid, despite my paper proof otherwise, the CRA's will not remove the "30 day lates".

So when I have to go to bat for my client, I have the paperwork copied (3 sets in hand) and speak with real people.  I ask the real people to make a paper decision.  (Often everything is computerized and no thinking is involved.)

Besides the credit line increase of 15k, this client has also received a Discover card with an 8k limit, and two more credit cards with nice limits.   And a mortgage.  BA did their best to damage his credit.  I fought back.  And we are winning....

The other thing you can do, which we did, is put an "explanation" on the credit report to explain the "30 day lates".  So now everyone who pulls the credit report sees the "bads" that BA put on there along with an explanation.  They end up rereading it and then reading my letter of explanation.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send a private message through the boards here, or post again. 

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

well technically when you enter into a payment arrangement you are breaking the contract and they can report it that way.  They should tell you that though.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that they should volunteer this information to the customer.  They don't.  Smiley Sad

BA sometimes creates the situation where the customer feels stuck.  They want to pay their debt, but when the bank suddenly increases their interest rate, which causes the monthly payment to skyrise -- they are left with few choices.  

These customers had never been late with their payments to BA.  BA, in responses to the economic challenges, raised a lot of people's interest rates and minimum payments.  In some cases, payments doubled and quadrupled.

*sigh*  The customers should not have debt to begin with.  But since they do, they have an obligation to pay it off.  If the bank changes the terms, and they can without notice, without reason, the customer should be able to make payment arrangements that they can afford WITHOUT being punished by the bank.

Six months of report "30 days late" when the customer has NOT been 30 days late, is wrong. 

The way it shows up on the credit report is "30 days late" repeated six times.  It never advances to "60 days late". 

Message 3 of 8
moneymaker1
Established Member

Please advice on what do to in this situation?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.  If there is anyway you can be current when you go on the payment plan, then do so!

2.  Look closely at your first bill on the payment plan.  It will have the current agreed upon payment amount.  It may also have a "past due" amount.  It has been my experience (for my clients) that BA will say do not worry about it.  If there is ANY way you can pay both amounts off, then do so!

3.  Keep copies of your statements and get a copy of your credit report.

4.  If you need to apply for credit, then write a letter explaining this is how BA punishes people who ask for a lower interest rate.  Show them the credit report and point out that logically, you can not have 6 "30 days late" in a row.  If it was *really true* then BA, who is no dummy, would report it is as "30 days late, 60 days late, 90 days late, 120 days late, 180 days late..."  Every knowledgeable banker and underwriter will be nodding their head with you in agreement.  Tell them you are in the process of disputing this obvious wrong information through the CRA.

The first time I tried to get a credit limit raised for one of my clients who had just deployed, I took all of this information and went in to talk to the banker.  She agreed with me that there was something fishy going on with BA.  Copies were given to the underwriter.

We were turned down that visit -- after two days of deliberating.  I continued to make the clients payments, waited thirty days, and said, let's talk again.

Smiley Happy  The limit was raised by 15k second go around.

To this day, the client is strengthening the relationship with the bank.  And the bankers smile (and maybe groan a little) when I walk in.   But I get things done for my clients.  But both the bank and the clients smile -- I get things done and everyone makes more money.

And be honest when you talk to the people involved.  My client had a payment jump from $340 to $1500 because they allowed some unauthorized charges and they increased the interest rate when he was almost halfway to his limit.  He could not pay $1500 a month. He told them that.  We negotiated terms with BA before he deployed.  I shared all of this with the bank, when I went to personally talk to them.

If you need help, please let me know.  I can post suggestions on here for you.  There are lots of experienced readers who can also share advice. 

Message 5 of 8
kjm79
Valued Contributor

In a post above it's stated that BA can report this "punishment" because you broke the contract.  That's inconsistent with the reporting guidelines.  BA has to legally report accurate information.  If the clients were never ever late, then BA would need to report that they were never late as that is the accurate information.  How about disputing with the CRA's as not being accurate information?   

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have gone the rounds with BA about reporting accurate information.

I have gone the rounds with the CRA's.  Because BA comes back with saying it is valid, despite my paper proof otherwise, the CRA's will not remove the "30 day lates".

So when I have to go to bat for my client, I have the paperwork copied (3 sets in hand) and speak with real people.  I ask the real people to make a paper decision.  (Often everything is computerized and no thinking is involved.)

Besides the credit line increase of 15k, this client has also received a Discover card with an 8k limit, and two more credit cards with nice limits.   And a mortgage.  BA did their best to damage his credit.  I fought back.  And we are winning....

The other thing you can do, which we did, is put an "explanation" on the credit report to explain the "30 day lates".  So now everyone who pulls the credit report sees the "bads" that BA put on there along with an explanation.  They end up rereading it and then reading my letter of explanation.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send a private message through the boards here, or post again. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a situation with BofA....

my husband opened an account with them in May2002 and never had any issues until after he got out of the military and had problems finding work.

He started to fall behind at the start of 2007 and around July 2007 they sent a letter stating that if we could make x amount of payments in x amount of days that it would bring it current. So we did just that, it was something like $250 every two weeks for a month and a half. Well they continued to report it as being 120 days late.

So then when they said it would be current was August, still 120 days late. They contacted me and set up a payment plan with low interest on auto draft (hubby went out of country for work so they felt it was a good gesture on their part). I got sucked into it, they got their money every single month from auto pay and usually extra money as well.

They continued to report as 120 days late up until April 2008. So 9 months of making THEIR payment that THEY set up and they still reported it as 120 days late. From April 2008 to present it shows ok.

The other thing is they never mentioned that a payment plan would close the account, and on his CR it shows "account closed by consumer" This isn't true, he never closed it.

How do I get them to remove some of those lates if not all of them? This is the oldest account he has.

Thanks! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.