cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUESTION: Just before joining here I settled and paid a CA....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

QUESTION: Just before joining here I settled and paid a CA....

As I'm reading some of these threads, I'm learning that paying off the CA is not a good idea if the agency hasn't reported in a while. This particular account that I settled and paid was gaining interest. It was assigned to them on 3/28/2008, but last been updated on 9/11/2010. The orginal balance is $545,  the "current balance" is $700.

I'm just learning about DV and PFD's. 

Will my score take a nosedive even with a last report date from the CA was on 9/11/2010?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: QUESTION: Just before joining here I settled and paid a CA....

No, payment was not wrong.  If the debt was legit, it was the right thing to do!

You have prevented, by your payment, the chance of legal acion againt you. You discharged the debt!!!!!  The right thing to do....

Some will advise to either DV or offer a PFD, and then  just sit back and wait, hope, and pray for a response that may ultimately lead to CR deletion.

But neither a DV or PFD letter ever requries any response. 

They can hit you with legal action at any time.

It is a high risk strategy that I am, quite frankly amazed,  is offered, without counsel on the risks, over and over again on this site.

Message 2 of 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: QUESTION: Just before joining here I settled and paid a CA....

@RobertEG wrote:

No, payment was not wrong.  If the debt was legit, it was the right thing to do!

You have prevented, by your payment, the chance of legal acion againt you. You discharged the debt!!!!!  The right thing to do....

Some will advise to either DV or offer a PFD, and then  just sit back and wait, hope, and pray for a response that may ultimately lead to CR deletion.

But neither a DV or PFD letter ever requries any response. A DV in Texas DOES require a response. Please give ALL accurate information Robert.

They can hit you with legal action at any time. A DV request is a very low risk option and is often all that is required to have a CA delete an account.

It is a high risk strategy that I am, quite frankly amazed,  is offered, without counsel on the risks, over and over again on this site. You know better than this Robert. Many, many posts caution people about first finding out what the SOL happens to be in the state they live in and what might happen if they offer a PFD without knowing the SOL and without having the funds to PIF in case they are sued.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.