Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Student Loans on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question About Student Loans on my credit report

Back in 2014 I went back to school (Everest University Online) to finish my associate degree.  By the time I was done, I had accumulated just over $20,000 in student loan debt across what looks to be 8 separate loans.  Unfortunately, I completed my degree 2 months before they closed, so I can't get the loans eliminated, so I have to pay them back.  At the moment, that's not a problem, but at that time we were having financial difficulties and they went into default and transferred from Fed Loan Servicing to the US Department of Education, both of which show up on my credit reports.  All 8 of them are listed twice.  It was absolutely destroying my credit score.  Over the last two years I have been diligently paying my bills on time, paying off everything I can, including an auto loan, and worked with the Department of Education to Rehabilite the loans.   I was able to get my scores from the 480's up to 620+.  A few days ago I noticed my Transunion score had dropped from 620 down to 603, so I started investigating.  The ONLY thing that was different on my report was that it was showing $20,000 in new debt.  The first thing I thought was identity theft, but after looking closer, my student loans showed up under Nelnet and being paid on time and current.  On March 10th, I hit the 9 month point on my student loan rehabilitation and they transferred it to Nelnet to continue servicing.  The records for the US Department of Education and their $20,000 are still showing up on my report and the $20,000 in loans for Nelnet are showing up as new debt.  Should I be able to get any of the old loans removed?  I know Student Loans on credit reports can be tricky.  How should I go about resolving it?  Do I need to contact the USDoE?  Or submit disputes?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Question About Student Loans on my credit report

You may just want to give it a little time. The Dept of Ed should close and have a 0 balance if Nelnet now has the loans.  Unfortunately, the lates are there until they fall. This can be a good thing as the tradeline is the going to become clean and help out your average of accounts.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I myself have a couple late payments from Nelnet, a few weeks ago I sent a dozen GW letters to them asking for an adjustment. I received a call today from a manager in the Executive Office informing me that since my student loans are Federal loans that there is no possible way to get an adjustment. You can try sending them GW letters as every person has their own situation.

Best of luck!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You were right.  All it took was a little patience.  This week, there was an update to my credit report.  The items in question didn't just zero out.  They were deleted from my credit report.  My Transunion score went from a 603 to 644 because of it!  And, to top it off, my FICO mortgage score went from a mid of 588 to a mid of 626.  We're going to be able to get the VA loan to buy our house now!  

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad that worked out! Did just the default / collection loans get deleted or did the original 8 loans with all of the lates (and what should be a zero balance since they charged them off and sent them to collections when you defaulted) get deleted too?

It seems so hit or miss as to whether or not the original loans get deleted. I’m dealing with the rehab process currently, as a consequence of an error of Navient’s, not mine for failing to pay. I’m doing rehab as a parallel to my fight with them to correct their mistake, so that at least something will fix part of this! My hope is they just fix it since it’s their simple error, not mine, but if they refuse, i’ll be happy if after rehab the original loans just go away! The original lates are supposed to stay but some people end up lucky and they get deleted!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.