Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about 6+ yr old debt

tag
ironsight
Valued Member

Question about 6+ yr old debt

Hello, If anyone is willing to help.

I have a debt with a CA on my report that shows a DLA of 11/2006.  The SOL in my state is 6 years.  I truely don't recall the debt, and the creditor JUST started calling.  I stated during the call that I don't recall the debt and they came back with the "don't give me that" line.  They did have a valid last 4 of my SSN.  

Anyway, my question is, should I send a DV letter?  Should I send a C&D?  I don't want to reset the DLA since the SOL is up, and it will fall off of my report in another year, but I really need it off NOW.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about 6+ yr old debt

Send them a DV.

The fall off date is tied to your DoFD. As long as the DoFD isn't changed, then it will fall off in 7 years + 180days.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Hello ironsight.

So you have a debt that shows DLA of 11/2006.  Well The DOLA doesn't really factor into the setting the clock for either the CRTP or the SOL.  I would guess that the DOFD, which does set the clock is somewhere before  11/2006, which means that this debt is nearing the end of life.  I would pull a good copy of your CR to see exactly what the DOFD is. 

You could send the DV, probably wouldn't do any good if they have all that info, plus it wouldn't be timely.  I wouldn't send a C&D cause that would just mean they couldn't contact you, wouldn't mean they couldn't post to your CR.    As far as them reseting the DOFD, a CA cannot do that.  You don't have an agreement with them, so there's no way for them to change the terms.  

Who is this debt with now?  Is the OC still reporting or did they ever report?

Let me know if I can help.  Good Luck.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
ironsight
Valued Member

Thanks for the replies.

Shogun, thank you for the advice.  It is being reported by both the CA and the OC.  Not sure what the exact DoFD is, but Transunion CR is estimating that the OC line will fall off in 9/2013, and the CA line in 10/2013.  The OC is showing a zero balance and charge off.  

Does this sound right?  

Should I just send them a C&D and wait it out until 10/2013 and make sure that the lines are gone?  

Any way to get this off of there any quicker that you know of?

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

That sounds about right on the CRTP with them falling off.  The only way to get it off earlier is actually to settle the debt, which I always suggest to do.  You could PFD the CA and GW the OC.  Depends on how much the debt is and how much you're willing to spend.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.