Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Discover?

So on my journey in reading from the forums I read that you could start your rebuild after 341 Meeting. I had my meeting at the beginning of October so on October 19th I applied trying to get the Discover It Secured CC. I was declined, gave me a reason of bankruptcy. My score was 583 at the time. My question is that now I have been discharged (in December) and Discover wasn't included in my bankruptcy will it forgive and let me in on the secure side or since I have already been denied is this a no go for me to ever get the Discover card.

I am following a rebuild from the site. Capital One was IIB so I went with Credit One. I applied to them on the same date as the Discover and they approved me after some verification. The limit to this card is $600 (have a balance of $164). I have a Loft Card $250 (have balance of $186.75) and Target Card $900 (balance of $208.42). When should I try again or should I leave Discover alone and go another route?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Discover?

@Anonymous wrote:

So on my journey in reading from the forums I read that you could start your rebuild after 341 Meeting. I had my meeting at the beginning of October so on October 19th I applied trying to get the Discover It Secured CC. I was declined, gave me a reason of bankruptcy. My score was 583 at the time. My question is that now I have been discharged (in December) and Discover wasn't included in my bankruptcy will it forgive and let me in on the secure side or since I have already been denied is this a no go for me to ever get the Discover card.

I am following a rebuild from the site. Capital One was IIB so I went with Credit One. I applied to them on the same date as the Discover and they approved me after some verification. The limit to this card is $600 (have a balance of $164). I have a Loft Card $250 (have balance of $186.75) and Target Card $900 (balance of $208.42). When should I try again or should I leave Discover alone and go another route?

Did you go to the pre-qual site for Discover and check their prior to applying? That is normally pretty solid if you get offered something.

I don't mean to sound negative, but you should pay down your current balances before applying for anything. You have just gotten discharged and already have cards with some higher utilization and an aggregate of 30% which is a scoring hit level. You need this under 8.9%. That is likely how you got to the BK level in the first place. I would work on getting those balances down to only one reporting a small amount before getting any new credit. That will help your scores too, especially the Loft card as it's at 75% on its own. Might want to do a search for AZEO and start working to implement its methods as that will help your score grow and you will qualify for better cards and rates.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually when someone starts with "I don't mean to be negative": It's about to be negative. I do the AZEO, I just brought stuff with my accounts this month which is why there are balances but thank you for responding  I didn't know about a prequalification site but I will research that and won't ask questions when I don’t understand then and will just read and hope it answers my questions; because no one likes to feel like they are being judged without knowing my actual situation. I figured this site was for you to ask questions and learn from others. I gave the extra information because I have seen on these forums that you get better answers if you give as much information as you have available but I thank you for reiterating the information that I am already following and not answering my question.

Message 3 of 10
greeneyedlady
Established Member

Hi maystroud,

I think you may have read some things into dynamicvb's reply that I do not see. It seems like a helpful, nonjudgmental post to me. Perhaps you should have mentioned that you use AZEO and that would not have been a suggestion for you, but I certainly read your post as to imply that those balances are reported or being carried.

As to the Discover question, I wish I had the answer for you. I've got a question about them myself.
Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Well I'll try to re-word it a differtent way. When we see balances we think that was what was reported at statement date. Not what you have charged so far in the billing cycle. With new cards its best not to go over 30% of the CL. Some creditors would like to see that no one is charge happy and come close to their CL. If you are doing the AZEO method. Great. Try the Disco prequal when the 3 cards are at AZEO. Not when one is at almost max level and the other one is above 30% of the CL. You'll have a better chance. Let the acounts have at least 6-8 months of perfect payments. Closer to a year is even better. Thats when I got my first card. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 10
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are several issues here that I am seeing. First, you may want to make sure the bankruptcy is being reported correctly on all three bureaus as well as Innovis and LexisNexis. You may want to freeze LexisNexis because the other bureaus will basically just copy down whatever they have, whether it's correct or not. They will also use it to "verify" information if you do dispute with the others while Lexis is not frozen. If there are any inaccuracies, I would then dispute them after freezing Lexis. 

Second, let's say your bankruptcy is reporting correctly. Creditors aren't going to be lining up to extend you credit if the bankruptcy is recent. CreditOne has high fees and is ran by a collection agency, which is why they will take pretty much anyone. They ASSUME a large amount of customers will default and you are paying them extra for approving you. Discover has a more long-term strategy for it's secured cards. They aren't charging high amount of fees and they offer rewards. In addition, they have been unsecuring many cards within the first year and granting credit line increases. They may be less likely to approve you because the cost of you defaulting is not built right into their business model, or at least not to the same extent as CreditOne. Discover wants to please customers by giving them a shot, unsecuring the card quickly, and by keeping them for long term-profits, whereas CreditOne wants as much money as possible upfront.

Third, let me point out that as a point of personal financial health, you may not want a ton of credit cards after a recent bankruptcy. You may have to change your entire attitude towards money. Let's say you stick with the CreditOne and the store cards for now. You'll still be building credit and there is much less risk for running up a huge debt. I think you might want to consider what your real goals are for buiulding up your credit. If it's just to get a good score, you can do that with the cards you have. If you want a safety net, then maybe consider a credit union card in the future because they will be more understanding of your BK and will have low rate and low fee options. You can always plan to get into the rewards game, but I caution you that it could bakcfire by causing you to spend more money you don't have without even thinkng about it.

Lastly, my advice would be to follow the plan other have mentioned by keeping your utilization low and maximizing what FICO points you currently have. You should probably let your current cards age for 6 months to a year and then pursue some better options. Around that time, you may qualify for an unsecured Capital One card (they will take you back after a default, BTW), the Discover secured card, or maybe even a Bank of America or Citi secured card. Discover and Cap1's processes are highly automated for approvals, so checking the prequalification page will give you a good idea if you will get approved. Recon is difficult if not impossible with these two. But let's say you get denied for BofA a year from now, you could call up and talk to a credit analyst and possibly get an override. I'm unsure about Citi, so I'd search around on here for recent approvals for that card.

Message 6 of 10
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

I apologize, I did not mean to come off as judgemental. As FireMedic said I saw the amounts and credit limits and thought you were running those as a balance and that is what is reporting on your CRA's. You will come closer to getting better rates, SL's and approval from other cards when it looks like you are not using very much of your available credit lines. 

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maystroud

Sometimes we can easily misinterpret the tone of something written. Believe me, no one on this forum is going to be judgemental or put you down, but sometimes we will say the cold hard truth in order to help someone. There are a lot of people on this board that have all come from similar credit problems, so they give advice based on their paradigm. Just know that even if something sounds harsh, we do not mean it in a condescending way, but in a mentoring, "we've already been down this road' type of way. GL!

Message 8 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@dynamicvb wrote:

I apologize, I did not mean to come off as judgemental. As FireMedic said I saw the amounts and credit limits and thought you were running those as a balance and that is what is reporting on your CRA's. You will come closer to getting better rates, SL's and approval from other cards when it looks like you are not using very much of your available credit lines. 

The method I used is what I did from day 1 on my rebuild after BK and passed onto you. I had no cards IIB. Only 1 time I went over 60% of my available balance and that was to get the 40k mile bonus on my Venture. But paid it off right after before it posted. 3.6 years later I have never gone past 20% of available balance due to using many cards a month so I can get something back on any purchase and have stayed at AZEO ever since. I believe that helped me go 9-0 on approvals since DC. I dont look like a high risk. Its on your CR on how much is used each month as "high balance". But as we say YMMV. I just try to pass on what worked for me. I got cards mostly for saving $ and at my age for emergencies if they arise. Thats about it. It may help others and may not help others. Good Luck getting your Disco!

Message 9 of 10
greeneyedlady
Established Member

Oh, no, RehabbingANDBlabbing, did I mess up? I filed a dispute with EQ on Sunday and received word today that the CA verified the false information they had provided. Another dispute was filed today, based on their reporting as an individual account. It is my husband's account, reporting as individual on each of our EQ reports. Should I freeze LexisNexis and Innovis? I had no idea. I am seeking other remedies at this time, but I do not want further damage done.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.