cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about SOL in different states!!

tag
jwillvin
Valued Member

Question about SOL in different states!!

In 2001 I lived with my cousin for a month in Virginia. I made a huge mistake and put the phone and electric in my name for him. (I should have realized why he couldn't put them in his name in the first place) He never paid either bill. I've lived in Ohio since then and they're being reported on all 3 of my CRs from two different CA. One, Hilco receivables is due to fall off in November of this year. The second, AFNI shows a date of April 2009.
Does it matter if they were accts in VA but I live in Ohio and the SOL is different in each state. Do I have a valid dispute here for that reason. can I possibly get them removed earlier.

Thanks for all the advice as well!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Question about SOL in different states!!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

jwillvin wrote:
 In 2001 I lived with my cousin for a month in Virginia. I made a huge mistake and put the phone and electric in my name for him. (I should have realized why he couldn't put them in his name in the first place) He never paid either bill. I've lived in Ohio since then and they're being reported on all 3 of my CRs from two different CA. One, Hilco receivables is due to fall off in November of this year. The second, AFNI shows a date of April 2009.
Does it matter if they were accts in VA but I live in Ohio and the SOL is different in each state. Do I have a valid dispute here for that reason. can I possibly get them removed earlier.

Thanks for all the advice as well!!

SOL has nothing to do with how long they remain on your credit report. SOL refers to the time period a creditor has to sue and win a judgment against you.

Collections will remain for 7.5 years from DOFD.

Is the Hilco Receivables and AFNI reporting the same debt?

Do you know when the bills became delinquent?
Message 3 of 4
jwillvin
Valued Member

No, there not reporting the same debt. As far as the date they became delinquent I'm also unsure about that as well. On each of my CR the "Open date" is 12/06 but I'm assuming thats when the debts were bought by the CA's. On my TU report I noticed that there were dates attached to each collection and somethig to the effect of "will continue on file until....." Is that the scheduled fall off date?
and will I have to dispute those collections with each CRA once those dates arrive? Sorry I'm kind of new to this. Been writing and mailing out letters and following the advice in these posts for about 2 months now and so far I've gotten a total of 7 items removed from my CR's. Woo-hoo, just a little impatient trying to finally have that "clean slate"
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.