Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about authorized user

Hello all!

So my wife and I were dumb in the past, and we both let our credit turn to crap. Over the past 9 months I've been on the up and up going from roughly a 495 average to a 650 averafe currently. Unfortunately, my wife's credit went the opposite way due to medical collections. I've added her as an authorized user on 2 of my cap one cards and her score has jumped over 80 pts! Heres my question, she's been "pre approved" for the same 2 cap one cards on her own. If she was to apply, would she get denied due to being an AU on the same two cards on my account?

Thanks in advance and thank you all for your enlightening stories and advice to show that we are not alone. I couldn't have done or known half of the things I do now if it wasn't for all of you!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Question about authorized user

@Anonymous wrote:
Heres my question, she's been "pre approved" for the same 2 cap one cards on her own. If she was to apply, would she get denied due to being an AU on the same two cards on my account?

Not at all. Be aware though that per their application rules CapOne will only approve one card every six months so make sure she picks the one that will fit her spend.

Message 2 of 5
kcos194
Regular Contributor

My wife and I are in a similar situation but with the roles reversed. She has fair scores in the mid 600’s and is an AU on my cap 1 QS. I added her I think in February, and she was approved last week for a platinum with a 3k SL. She was also pre-approved through their site (pre approved for both platinum and QS). So I don’t think that her being an AU will be cause for decline. Good luck!
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was the pre-approval made based on the creditor having obtained a listing of consumers from a CRA after submission of screeing criteria to that CRA?

If an offer for credit is made based on a listing obtained from a CRA (i.e., a so-called "promotional offer" under FCRA 604(c)), then it is legally a "firm offer for credit" that must then be granted if the consumer applies and is found to still meet the screening criteria specified by the creditor in obtaining the listing.

All pre-approval offers are not equal.....

Message 4 of 5
javoned
Established Member

She should be fine. My husband added me as an authorized user to his account about 9 months ago. Last week I was Pre-Approved for Quicksilver and Platinum. I chose a Platinum and was approved for $3k after getting the 7-10 day message.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.