Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about disputes

tag
EctGar
Established Member

Question about disputes

I have a baddie on my report for a car that was in a wreck in 2008.  I was under the impression that my Gap Coverage paid the balance in full but apparently they left a balance of 197 on a loan of 26,263.  I am not sure I would be able to provide any documentation   It is on my Experian twice once from HSBC Auto once from A collector.  I do not believe I have ever seen a notice from any collector on this debt.  Do I have any validity in a dispute?  Would i be better with a PFD?  Who would i contact sine HSBC does not do Auto Loans anymore apparently?  Any help would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Re: Question about disputes

I would dispute it with EX directly. Odds are very good that they will not be able to validate the debt and it will be deleted. Just my opinion.
April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you dispute, you must provide some documentation in support of your assertion that the debt was paid.

Otherwise, the dispute could be dismissed without investigation as lacking basis for an asserted inaccuracy.

If their records do not show payment, they can verify.

I would suggest a PFD offer, potentially removing it from your CR and scoring, and also eliminating any future issue of an unpaid, delinquent debt.

Yuo can go the dispute route, but verification on their part might be pro forma.

Message 3 of 8
EctGar
Established Member

I sent a dispute a little premature I too think i should have done a PFD.  That will be my next step when these come back  that I lost the dispute.  Oh well I will live and learn worst case these come off early 2016 but I plan to try to get them off before that.    

Message 4 of 8
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Robert probably knows more about this than I do, so I'll stipulate that. But IMHO, there's nothing to be lost by a preemptive dispute. If you pfd, they might assign someone to what is otherwise basically just a number and now you've got someone assigned to your file. If you dispute they might just not bother and let it get deleted while they focus on ppl who aren't busy disputing stuff and requiring the to validate debts to the CRAs. That's just a theory I have so take it for what it's worth.
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Perhaps.

Or perhaps a dispute might affect their future inclination to grant good-will, which is what a PFD offer requests.

Message 6 of 8
EctGar
Established Member

It all seem pretty silly over less than $200 now that I look at it.  I honestly do not remember getting any bill.  I wish i has this is one of two on my report the other is for Comcast.  

Message 7 of 8
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Like I said, Robert, you probably know more about this than I do. But my inclination would be to dispute first and then plead ignorance - "I honestly didn't know what that was for, but I see it was verified by the CRA. Is there any way we can get this taken care of? I'm trying really hard to get myself back on track and I want to make sure and honor any legitimate creditors I have out there" or something along those lines
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.