Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about settling act with First Premier Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about settling act with First Premier Bank

Hello,

I need a little help with my best course of action for First Premier. I have an older cc account with them, set to fall off in late 2019. However, I am hoping to buy a home this Spring and 1. Its showing a balance and messing my utilization and 2. My mortgage broker said I should try to settle/close as many baddies as possible to help with the manual review, showing I took care of my obligations.

Do I contact First Premier, or the CA servicing the account (Id have to even see if there is one).

If I contact FP, what ammount should I offer to settle (Its around $500 I owe)

Settling this debt wont reset my clock, correct? I want this to fall off next year.

Should I call? Email? Write? Does anyone have any contact information for them?

Thank You

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about settling act with First Premier Bank

Settling won't reset the clock and the balance dropping to zero will be great for your score, plus, they'll finally stop updating which will allow the negative account to age so it doesn't hurt as much.

I don't know how First Premier is with settling debts- but the CAs they use are usually pretty accommodating. You can call First Premier's main customer service number (you can google it) to find out if the account has been transferred to a CA and get the contact info.

FYI: They don't sell the accounts, they just assign them to a CA - so First Premier can take the payment directly - don't let them tell you otherwise. I paid my account in full directly to them only because I needed my report updated asap. If you pay the CA, you have to wait for them to notify First Premier of the payment, then wait for First Premier to update the bureaus- it takes an extra few weeks.

Up to you whether you force First Premier to take your payment or if you pay the CA - I guess it really depends on whether or not you can afford to pay your balance in full - you'll likely get better settlement terms from the CA (ie. <= half the debt). My account was assigned to Jefferson Capital and they offered to settle for $185 of the $425 I owed.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 4
outofcredit
Established Contributor

I recently settled a chargeoff with First Premier for a 2013 account. First Premier was reporting the chargeoff but I received a settlement offer from the collection agency, I believe it was Credit Collection Srvs. Anyway, they were offering to settle a $477 balance for $263. I called the collection agency and paid via credit card over the phone. About a week later I received a receipt from First Premier stating the account was settled and would be updated on my credit reports. About another week later the balance on the charge-off changed to $214. I did a dispute indicating that the balance should be $0 since the account had been settled for less. Took about another week and First Premier updated the balance to $0. Then the following month, much to my surprise, the entire account disappeared from my credit reports entirely. I assume First Premier did the deletion. Hope this info helps.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 3 of 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

Dang. Maybe I should've settled with the CA, let First Premier mess up reporting, disputed, let them fix - then remove it. They likely deleted it because they reported inaccurate info. From what I've read from others- if you can get them on inaccurate reporting, they are quick to delete. I, unfortunately, never had grounds to dispute their reporting. I've tried everything else though to get them off my reports.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.