Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the medical experts..

tag
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

Question for the medical experts..

Okay, this is totally hypothetical.  DH and I just saw a commercial on TV about this guy who had to have emergency surgery and as a result of the medical bills, had to file bankruptcy.  My question is, if you are paying something to the hospital (even as little as 25 dollars a month, can they sue or otherwise make your financial life so miserable that you would have to file?  I say they can, and DH says they can't.  I know, we need to find a hobby....
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question for the medical experts..

Sounds funny I know but many years ago I was told all I had to do was pay a dollar and they couldn't say anything ... meaning the hospital.  My son lived in the hospital (not really but sometimes) and for the most part I had great insurance but every now again I would be stuck with some crappy insurance and have to pay the 20%.  I wasn't going to pay a dollar but I use to send them $5.00 a month and I never had any problems.
Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 2 of 5
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

When my daugher had her surgeries her father had cancelled the Med Insc
AndI  didn't know at the time, I paid the Hospital 20.00 a month
and had no problems they even knocked 458.00
off the origional debt.

Mostly Hospitals and DR's will work with you if you can make some sort of payment to them

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was trying to find where I read it at--  I am pretty sure on the blog discussion of the AG office-- but I want to say the answer is yes they can sue.

It isn't about whether you are making payments or not, it is about whether you are fulfilling the terms of the agreement.

For instance, unless something is worked out and approved ahead of time, hospitals/doctors' offices expect full payment in one lump sum at the time of service.

If you do not do this, but do send payments monthly, you have broken the agreement, whether it be a implied, written, or an oral agreement.

Most hospitals/doctors do not sue you when they feel you are making an effort to pay.

I've heard of judges denying motion for judgment because the debtor was making payments and putting forth an effort to take care of the debt.

southernficoaddict wrote:
Okay, this is totally hypothetical.  DH and I just saw a commercial on TV about this guy who had to have emergency surgery and as a result of the medical bills, had to file bankruptcy.  My question is, if you are paying something to the hospital (even as little as 25 dollars a month, can they sue or otherwise make your financial life so miserable that you would have to file?  I say they can, and DH says they can't.  I know, we need to find a hobby....

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay 20 a month on my bills from an MRI two years ago. Almost done paying them, so they never once sent me to collection. Anything is better than nothing.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.