Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on cleaning up some incorrectly reported judgements

tag
fixingitohio
Contributor

Question on cleaning up some incorrectly reported judgements

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We decided to get serious in cleaning up our credit.  Lots of issues date from about > 7 years ago so they will start to fall off our CR's in the next year or so.

However, in looking at the judgements that are on there, I noticed some aren't marked as "Satisfied" and one is marked as a Tax Lien (was a CC judgement from 2001).

I went to the Clerks office and got all documentation including the Satisfaction of Judgement.  Turns out the Satisfaction is in the paper copy file, but was never updated in the docketing system (????) so if it were pulled electronically it would never show as having been satisfied. She updated the docketing system after pulling the paper copy and all is well (there) now.

They have dates of 

April 2006

May 2006

October 2006

June 2001

My thought is to dispute them with the CRA's now but my my big questions are:

- Do they report with the date filed or the date paid?

- Date paids are back in the same years they were paid (01, 06) for the most part except for one paid in 08.  If they update with a "paid" status of more than 7 years ago will they fall off?

- Do I need to "double dispute" the civil judgement that's being reported as a "Tax Lien"

My goal is to start with these "easy ones", then work through GW's and maybe a PFD on some small collections that are 4 or 5 years old.

Thanks for any assistance.

Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Question on cleaning up some incorrectly reported judgements

Judgments, paid or unpaid, are excluded from your CR 7 years from the date filed.

Tax Liens can stay indefinitely unless paid.  Once paid they will be excluded 7 years from the date paid.  If there is a Tax Lien showing that should be a CC judgment, get all the paper work together and send them to the CRAs with a request for it to updated properly.

From the dates you have shown, all of them, if reported as a judgment will be excluded sometime this year.

The one from 2001, if it is reporting as a judgment, should have been excluded in 2008.  I would dispute this one via mail with the CRA and not online.

Message 2 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Hi fixingitohio,

Just stopping in to say "Welcome to the forums". Smiley Wink

Congrats to you on fixing your credit, you'll be glad you did. You have came to the right place, to gain the knowledge you need to help you.Most of us have been in the same place you are right now, so we understand.

I'm glad guiness56 answered your post, she knows more about judgments then I do.

Thanks guiness56

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 6
fixingitohio
Contributor

The knowledge I've gained already in lurking and devouring all the topics so far gives me hope there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks for all your help

Message 4 of 6
fixingitohio
Contributor

Just wanted to update the forum.  On Sunday, I filed a dispute with Equifax regarding the incorrectly categorized judgement.

Woke up this morning to an email from EQ saying the dispute had been resolved.  Logged in and looked at the letter and they're deleting the entry from my credit report.  I'll wait several days to update and repull to verify, but I was shocked how fast they resolved it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.