Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding returned mail

tag
mandar13077
Established Member

Question regarding returned mail

Hello,

I am in the need of some advice on what I should do. Some background, I have two baddies that I am either trying to DV or PFD, but I am having the worst of luck.

So about 2 weeks ago I sent out letters (I CMRRR'd the DV) and I received both of the envelopes back saying undeliverable. So I went online to check to make sure I had the correct address and noticed that the address had changed on the one that I DV'd. The address for the PFD was exactly the same.

So now I am going to send a new CMRRR to the DV CA and pray that they actually reply. My biggest confusion is regarding the CA that I don't seem to have a valid address. There is a phone number listed, but at this point I am afraid that if I call that I won't get what I want. I'm crazy I know. LOL Smiley Wink

I really thought about calling them for a PFD and seeing what they say. I could also call them from a pay phone and ask them for their address and see what they give me. What gets me is the name listed just says Collection Agency which is who I addressed it to.  I am so confused so I welcome any advice out there. These are my last 2 baddies and I really want them gone before I attempt to purchase a new vehicle in Feb/March next year. Fingers crossed.

~TIA~

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question regarding returned mail

For clarity, are you saying you sent a DV and PFD at the same time? In the future, you'd really want to send a DV, wait for a response, then send out the PFD if they verify and you agree.

For a valid address, check these in this order: 1) your CR, 2) their website, 3) state(s)' websites for CA licensing information. Required by many states and you can find a valid address on there if licensed, 4) your state's business licensing info if they are in your state, and 5) other addresses on their privacy policy, contact us section, addresses listed on their letterhead, and so on.

Never call in a PFD. I've seen waaaaaaaay tooo many stories in here of CAs saying, "Yes! Pay us today and I promise a deletion" only to not delete and keep your money.

Message 2 of 4
mandar13077
Established Member

I think  what I tried to say come out wrong. I mailed out two letters, a PFD and a DV, to the 2 CA's listed on my credit report.

Both of these were returned to me, but I noticed that one of the adresses was different while the other was the same.

I took your advice and I went online and searched by the phone number on my CR and found a different address. I will be sending out a 2nd round of letters so hopefully these will go to the correct place.

Sorry for the confusion. I wrote the message when I was half asleep so I should have known better.

I won't call for a PFD Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, calling a debt collector with regard to a PFD is often a good step.

A PFD offer is the begin of a negotiation.  Oral negotiations often cut to the chase a lot quicker.  Just be aware of the few "do nots," such as admitting the validity of the debt.

REgarding the prior DV, I suggest keeping all records of the prior mailing, as the statute only requires that you send your DV within the 30 day period in order to invoke the cease collection bar.  In the event they should hold your second DV untimely, your documentation of timely mailing would become important.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.