Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question(s) about date of collections reporting on Credit Report

tag
yougoglencoco
Valued Member

Question(s) about date of collections reporting on Credit Report

Hello,  I'm sure this has been covered here in full, I just haven't found quite what I'm looking for and also am not sure exactly how to search for it.

I know that collections can stay on your credit report for 7 years (7 1/2?), but some of mine came onto my report well after I defaulted on the item, so they look much newer than they actually are, and then do they stay on for the 7 years after reported?

Examples:

Enhanced Recovery started an account for AT&T on my report Aug of 18.  I defaulted on that account in Aug of 2017.  

Jefferson Capital started an account for Verizon on my report Aug of 18.  I defaulted on that account in Feb of 2015.

Jefferson Capital reporting for Exeter finance in Oct of 17, defaulted in March of 2015.

Convergent Outsourcing reporting for Sprint in Jan of 2015, defaulted in Oct of 2013.

Puget Sound Collections from a broken lease, reported in June 2012, defaulted in Feb 2012.

So.....the Puget Collections would be great to drop off, I never agreed with the amount they reported. The 2 recent cell phone accounts weren't as recent as they look.  How would I get these to say the correct date without restarting the clock?

Also, if some of the CRA's deleted items after a debt validation letter, but the item (Puget Sound Collections and Convergent) stayed on other reports, should I pursue trying to get them off of all again?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Question(s) about date of collections reporting on Credit Report

Have you gotten your annual credit report? If not go to annualcreditreport.com and get the fall off date would be on your TransUnion report. So if you did try and get your report from TransUnion. 

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question(s) about date of collections reporting on Credit Report

The FCRA was modified 3 decades ago by the addition of sections 605(c) and 623(a)(5), which clarified the exclusion of charge-offs and collections from consumer credit reports.

It set a date-certain for exclusion that is unrelated to whether a debt is paid or unpaid, or when the charge-off or collection was reported to the CRAs.  That date-certain is the date of first delinquency in the chain of delinquency that includes the CO or collection.  See FCRA 605(c).

Once a credtior has reported a charge-off or a debt collector has reported a collection, they are then required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to explicitly and separately report the DOFD to the CRA, and the CRA then uses that reported DOFD, and no other date, to determine when it must exclude the reported charge-off or collection.

The posted Puget Sound collection, for example, apparently reported a DOFD of 2/2012, which would result in exclusion no later than 7 years plus 180 days thereafter (i.e., 8/2019).  However, the CRAs normally do not wait the additonal 180 days, and routinely exclude after 7 years from DOFD, so you can expect exclusion this month.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.