Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Judgments in VA

tag
mrswannadoright
New Visitor

Questions about Judgments in VA

Hi all.  I'm new to the forum. I am new to the entire credit rebuilding situation but I'm here to work on it and get help.  I have a question.

In 2011  I moved out of my apartment without paying the last month's rent.  I never recieved notification from them regarding a judgment, however I knew I owed the funds, I just didn't have it.

Fast forward, I wanted to pay or settle the judgment but I don't know who to pay.  The apartment complex was sold in 2012.  I contacted the complex and they gave me the run around about who to pay.  I was told to contact the original owners, but they referred me to the atty that represented them.  The atty that represented them referred me to the new owner's lawyer.  I contacted them and was told they have no record of me.  I even gave them the court case info..nothing...so I gave up.

So here I am again.  I want to pay again.  However they complex was sold yet again.  I contacted the complex under it's new name and they refered me to the the lawyer that is supposed to own the debts.  I was told that I am not in the system.  I asked about the lawyer that represented the original creditor, I was told that he no longer works for the company and that I would need to try to contact the original creditor.  The attys's office gave me the original creditors information, while informing me that the original creditor is now a one woman show.  She no longer owns or manages properties.  I contacted her and I am currently waiting on a response.

My question is what can I do? If I pay it at the court it just says paid, it won't say satisfied I know I would need proof of satisfaction and the court won't sign off on that unless notified.  I'm not sure what's next.  Please help.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Questions about Judgments in VA

Message 2 of 4
qd
Regular Contributor

Seems like the courts would dismiss this since nobody wants to take the money...odd...people are usually eager to take your money.  I agree though...call the clerk and hope they can help.

Message 3 of 4
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

I live in VA, the law states you can pay the court if creditors can't be located....but if you call the clerk they will say they do not accept payments and refer to the lawyer on record.
012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.