Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Question....

Almost done with all my baddies but 1 collection. The only available credit cards I have are my DW. So I am au on Carnival Barkley cl 10600 owe 2199 Cap I 3600 owe 990 Bof 900 owe 145 Steinmart 3600 owe 443..... All cards 3 years old except Baekleys.1.9 years Now question is I know au barely count because I know there not mine but would addind a 300 dollar new secured card hurt my score or help. Besides all the baddies but the co are all paid but 1 and 1 collection left that only reports on Tu thanks in advance

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

Re: Quick Question....

If you are doing it build your credit then I would try and get a secured card as soon as possible.  Especially if it will be the first one as primary.  You may take a very small decrease for the inquiry and new account but it will recover quickly. 

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. So I kinda do ne my own indivisual card? 

Message 3 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yes, you need a card for which you are the primary cardholder to build payment history.  Also, if it will be your only active (primary) revolver, you'll be rewarded for fulfilling that portion of your credit mix.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Thorn you helped me a couple days ago to. If I can ask one more question can I get your advice on when to apply for an unsecured because what I found out is it might be a soft pull to get a secured and then once you accept the secure card it's a hard pull on Capital One and discovery so what car would you recommend after I apply the Open Sky?

Message 5 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous   You can check the prequal sites of Capital One or Discover to see if you have any offers. Their offers are relatively solid if you didn't have any unsatisfactorily past history.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

They hp tho right. Even tho the initial prequal is a sp? But say you only qual for the secured and pick that one don't they do a hard pull after? Thats the part Im trying to figure out I just want 2 more cards then garden with out any inquiries. Let me know your thought.

Message 7 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

I recommend letting the secured card age while getting all outstanding debt (the remaining chargeoff and collection)  paid before going for an unsecured card to better approval chances. 

Then, once everything is paid, check Discovers prequalification tool -  if it shows you're prequalified, go for Disco.   If not, then go for CapOne.   Disco's underwriting tends to be a bit more strict so if you don't get prequalified right away, don't fret, just keep trying.  CapOne should be a shoe-in for their Platinum or maybe even Quicksilver. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They hp tho right. Even tho the initial prequal is a sp? But say you only qual for the secured and pick that one don't they do a hard pull after? Thats the part Im trying to figure out I just want 2 more cards then garden with out any inquiries. Let me know your thought.

Inquiries are unavoidable.  They only affect yoyr scores for the first 365 days, then they become unscoreable.  If you get the cards you want, then garden for 12 months, those inquiries won't matter. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Thorn you helped me a couple days ago to. If I can ask one more question can I get your advice on when to apply for an unsecured because what I found out is it might be a soft pull to get a secured and then once you accept the secure card it's a hard pull on Capital One and discovery so what car would you recommend after I apply the Open Sky?

The discover is the same as the regular one with the only difference being it's secured. It can graduate in as soon as 7 months to a regular card. Also, you can add to the limit at a later time if you need to. The cap1 card will probably not graduate, and if it does, will only receive 1 CLI, ever.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.