Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sending settlement letter to attorney for judgment

tag
srjjames
Valued Member

An attorney has supeoned me to go to court for a judgment that was placed against me for 5,000.  I would like to come up with a settlement.  I'm not making alot of money so how do I come up with with a settlement for this amount and is there a sample letter that I can send.  My court date is December 10, 2010.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

@srjjames wrote:

An attorney has supeoned me to go to court for a judgment that was placed against me for 5,000.  I would like to come up with a settlement.  I'm not making alot of money so how do I come up with with a settlement for this amount and is there a sample letter that I can send.  My court date is December 10, 2010.

Whatever you do, do not fail to appear!  It seems like they have issued a summons for a debtor examination.  Failure to appear often results in an arrest warrant.

I would send them a letter and offer them a lump sum settlement or a monthly payment plan.  I'd start out a little lower than what you can afford, but do not ultimately agree to anything more than you are certain you can do. 

You can mention you received their communication and wish to explore settlement options.  Point out that you have no assets and you are either not employed or your employment is at best tenuous so it is unlikely they will ever be able to enforce the judgment.  Still, in the interests of expediency you are open to settlement. 

Of course, you would do well to find a local attorney to represent you since it appears the judgment creditor is serious about enforcing their judgment and this could ultimately cause problems.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.