cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-aging of delinquent $8.18 fee assessed on closed Amex account, impossible to find a competent sup

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-aging of delinquent $8.18 fee assessed on closed Amex account, impossible to find a competent sup

Hoping others might have thoughts as to what I should do next..background is basically that I had an Amex account that was paid in full and closed in Dec. 2016; $8.18 of interest was assessed in Jan. 2017 that I was unaware of until reviewing my credit report in Mar. 2018 as I hadn't updated my mailing address with Amex and neglected to setup mail forwarding.

I paid the balance in full at that time but didn't contact Amex to ask that they reconsider their reporting in respect of this account until this past Apr. when I had two job offers rescinded upon reviewing my credit. So I wrote a letter to the executive office explaining the matter and received a generic form response letter back ~45 days later from the "Credit Bureau Unit" stating that the "address on your correspondence does not match the address in our records" and instructing me to call a 1800 number during normal business as they "need additional information...in order to respond to your inquiry"(the address issue was of course addressed in my letter but nevertheless).
Had to call a handful of times before finding someone competent but she allows me to correct my mailing address and transfers me to a supervisor to "re-age" the charge due to an incorrect address on file. Supervisor also seems reasonably competent but says "re-ageing" can only be done if Amex is notified of the error within 60 days. Says he will "forward to the Complaints team" for review, typically a 6-8 week process, no way to get confirmation of such via email or otherwise (as it's an "internal complaints process") but did give me a "case number" and said to call back after 6-8 weeks if I'd not heard anything.
Mid July rolls around, call back as I haven't heard anything and no one seems to have any record of the aforementioned complaint but apparently the account can in fact be "re-aged" by a supervisor in the "Customer Service Team". So I'm transferred to the Customer Service Team..except they can't handle credit reporting matters and transfer me back to the "Credit Bureau Unit". I've jerked this circle more times than I'd like to admit over the last couple weeks and have been unsuccessful in connecting with a supervisor in either unit - they are seemingly always "on another call", "in a meeting" or otherwise unavailable but more than happy to give me a call back the next day at a time of my choosing...except I'm 0 for 5 in actually getting a call back.
Anyway apologies for the rant and realize I'm well into TLDR territory but just not sure where to go from here. I appreciate the whole address thing was my fault to begin -- and paid the $8.18 plus interest/fees/penalties thereon in recompense therefor -- but to have your credit ruined and be rendered all but unemployable over such an insignificant sum is honestly just devastating.
Should I write another letter? Dispute the reporting? They did verbally agree in two instances to "re-age" the account (albeit not entirely sure what that means) but I failed to get anything in writing. Just accept it an move on? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Acc-Risk
Contributor

Re: Re-aging of delinquent $8.18 fee assessed on closed Amex account, impossible to find a competent

I'm just curious, what sort of positions were you applying for? I work in the Federal sector and have only heard of one instance where someone didn't receive Secret clearance due to credit, and that same employee passed his background check with abysmal credit.

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Re-aging of delinquent $8.18 fee assessed on closed Amex account, impossible to find a competent

@Anonymous wrote:

Hoping others might have thoughts as to what I should do next..background is basically that I had an Amex account that was paid in full and closed in Dec. 2016; $8.18 of interest was assessed in Jan. 2017 that I was unaware of until reviewing my credit report in Mar. 2018 as I hadn't updated my mailing address with Amex and neglected to setup mail forwarding.

I paid the balance in full at that time but didn't contact Amex to ask that they reconsider their reporting in respect of this account until this past Apr. when I had two job offers rescinded upon reviewing my credit. So I wrote a letter to the executive office explaining the matter and received a generic form response letter back ~45 days later from the "Credit Bureau Unit" stating that the "address on your correspondence does not match the address in our records" and instructing me to call a 1800 number during normal business as they "need additional information...in order to respond to your inquiry"(the address issue was of course addressed in my letter but nevertheless).
Had to call a handful of times before finding someone competent but she allows me to correct my mailing address and transfers me to a supervisor to "re-age" the charge due to an incorrect address on file. Supervisor also seems reasonably competent but says "re-ageing" can only be done if Amex is notified of the error within 60 days. Says he will "forward to the Complaints team" for review, typically a 6-8 week process, no way to get confirmation of such via email or otherwise (as it's an "internal complaints process") but did give me a "case number" and said to call back after 6-8 weeks if I'd not heard anything.
Mid July rolls around, call back as I haven't heard anything and no one seems to have any record of the aforementioned complaint but apparently the account can in fact be "re-aged" by a supervisor in the "Customer Service Team". So I'm transferred to the Customer Service Team..except they can't handle credit reporting matters and transfer me back to the "Credit Bureau Unit". I've jerked this circle more times than I'd like to admit over the last couple weeks and have been unsuccessful in connecting with a supervisor in either unit - they are seemingly always "on another call", "in a meeting" or otherwise unavailable but more than happy to give me a call back the next day at a time of my choosing...except I'm 0 for 5 in actually getting a call back.
Anyway apologies for the rant and realize I'm well into TLDR territory but just not sure where to go from here. I appreciate the whole address thing was my fault to begin -- and paid the $8.18 plus interest/fees/penalties thereon in recompense therefor -- but to have your credit ruined and be rendered all but unemployable over such an insignificant sum is honestly just devastating.
Should I write another letter? Dispute the reporting? They did verbally agree in two instances to "re-age" the account (albeit not entirely sure what that means) but I failed to get anything in writing. Just accept it an move on? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Re-Age means to change dates on an account, typically a collection agency falsifies the DoFD so they can report it past the time allowed by law. What you want is a commutation of a late payment by reason of Goodwill from the creditor. If you have not heard back in a reasonable time I would advise you present your case to the office of the CEO by way of a Goodwill letter request.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.