Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-aging?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-aging?

While I was typing away on another board about something completely different, I started wondering how it could be legal for a company to update a $0 balance account that has a date of first delinquency in 2013 to having a new DOFD of January 2019 after asking for a goodwill removal. DH was deployed and it has been so many years so we tried our luck with Cap One's generosity. We have current capital one products that have never been late and have perfect payment history. The auto loan problem was a one time issue that would have never happened if he had not been deployed and had pay issues during the deployment.

So that brings me to this... Would this account be considered "re-aging"? I checked trusty google and it sure seems like this account falls under re-aging but I thought I would take it to the Myfico experts. DH disputed the dates a few weeks ago and this is what was returned to us as being verified and accurate. I called Capital One Auto myself about it and they said if they do an internal look at it again then Equifax might update the DOFD as May 2019 and that leaving it showing January was probably better. Its keeping DH's Eq score down well below what it should be because it looks like the last date we were delinquent was January 2019 on an account that is well on its way to being obsolete soon. What do you think?

EqPhoto.PNG

Eqphoto1.PNG

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Re-aging?

That's not re aging. It's only a date when delinquency was reported. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well bummer, but thank you for helping clarify!

Message 3 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

When you attempted goodwill deletion, it was treated as a dispute. 

My advice would be to just leave it alone. It will be gone soon enough. 

COs  tend to keep score relatively suppressed the entire time they are on CR. 

Does he have any revolving accounts, other than your new US Bank one? 

Also, if utilization is high, that can keep the scores depressed till paid down. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep! This is what is currently showing on his Exp. Exp score is 707 and TU score is 715. Eq is the booger at 670 today. 

So we have the joint US Bank ($1200) that will be on there soon and an Amex BCP ($2000) that he applied for same day as US Bank but Amex pulled Ex and Barclay card that all came from this month's spree but that is already reporting and they pulled TU.

You can kind of tell we started rebuilding around 2015/16 with smaller cards and started working our way up to now. We were able to buy 2 homes and 3 vehicles in that time span, though so the Capital One account isn't keeping us completely down. I'll just be glad when it is gone. We have a couple of other small 0 balance negatives from the same time period 2013/14 but nothing major (HSN card that was $400 at one point but now 0 balance - we paid it, utility bill - paid 0 balance and a verizon bill we paid 0 balance). 

COMENITY PB

$0

$5,000

0%

Revolving

Current

Aug 2016

WMart

$147

$4,000

4%

Revolving

Current

Dec 2016

CITI

$1,887

$4,000

47%

Revolving

Current

Aug 2018

Aafes

$0

$3,900

0%

Revolving

Current

Sep 1997

CFNA

$0

$3,200

0%

Revolving

Current

Feb 2018

CAPOne

$207

$3,000

7%

Revolving

Current

Jun 2011

BARCLAY

$0

$2,500

0%

Revolving

Current

May 2019

DISCOVER 

$9

$1,600

1%

Revolving

Current

Oct 2017

MFCU

$0

$1,500

0%

Revolving

Current

Aug 2007

USAA 

$0

$1,000

0%

Revolving

Current

Sep 2016

USAA 

$0

$1,000

0%

Revolving

Current

Feb 2017

Ikea

$0

$750

0%

Revolving

Current

Jan 2019

CAPone

$0

$750

0%

Revolving

Current

Aug 2016

KOHLS

$0

$700

0%

Revolving

Current

Dec 2015

USAA 

$0

$500

0%

Revolving

Current

Aug 2016

Menards

$0

$500

0%

Revolving

Current

Jan 2016

Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  His scores are not bad at all. Once the utilization on that citi cards goes down below 28.9%, or 8.9% (ideal prior to important apps), he would get some points. If that card is in 0% promotional apr, I would not worry about it. 

Congrats on successful rebuild. You guys are doing great! 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! It has been a long long road but we are getting there! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re-aging is not per se improper.

Used broadly, any reporting of continued or increased level of delinquency updates your credit report and score by extending the period since initial delinquency, which has negative scoring impact.  Reporting that the debt has increased in period of delinquency is totally proper.

The term "improper re-aging" is normally used to refer to the reporting of a new, and later, incorrect date of first delinquency, which then extends the exclusion date of a reported collection or charge-off.

The DOFD is required to be separately reported for any charge-off or collection, and then becomes the single, date-certain used to determine the ultimate exclusion of the reported collection or charge-off.  The CRA must exclude no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD, and will normally exclude at approx 7 years from DOFD.

It does not appear that they have updated the reported DOFD, so there does not appear to be any improper re-aging for the credit report exclusion date.

Updating by reporting subsequent derogs does "re-age" your score, but is not improper re-aging.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your insight!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.