cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-opening a Bank of America Card and Removing Late Payments from a Capital One Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-opening a Bank of America Card and Removing Late Payments from a Capital One Card

Hello everyone,

My main concern is re-opening a Bank of America card that was closed in September 2012. It had a limit of $4300, and after going past my limit and being late 3 months, BoA closed it. At the time I had been unemployed a lot of the time, and hadn't found steady work after graduating from college. I also had several other life expenses I couldn't avoid, so it was hard to keep up. Fast forward to about a month ago... I got a steady job related to my major, and naively made a request for BoA to open my account before I checked my own credit. I was denied, and was told it was mainly because I had a spotty payment history with other creditors.

Well, the only negatives I have with any other creditors are two 30 day late payments for a Capital One card. It had a $500 limit (it was maxed out when they checked my credit). I've paid it down all the way a few weeks ago, and am currently maintaining a 5% to 10% ulilization ratio (raised my credit score from 559 to 615). I got the card in January 2012, and the two 30-day late payments are from June 2012 and September 2012.

So my question is wo-part:

1. What's the best way of removing the two Capital One late payments? I've read on here of people having success over the phone. Should I try that and send a GW letter as well? Any specific  department or I should ask for if I try calling?

2. I've heard that BofA does not re-open cards after 6 months. If true, that gives me a few months to better my credit history. If I'm successful in removing the Capital One lates, is there anything else I could do to increase the likelyhood of Bank of America reopening my card? It was my oldest card, had the lowest interest rate, with several years of perfect payment history up until the last couple of months. I really don't want to see it go down the drain.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
helpmyscore149

Re: Re-opening a Bank of America Card and Removing Late Payments from a Capital One Card

Hi just checking if they reopened the card  your card -- i had the late payments  too  (3 ) and they closed the card this month -- help me if  you had success --thanks

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.